Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remington is offering a rebate on Hypersonic and Nitro Steel. $10 back a box (up to $200) for purchases made between 11/20 and 11/30.

I just picked up a case of Nitro Steel at Rogers that's going to cost me $69.99 once I get my money back. I may not need it for a year or two, but at that price I figure I'm probably beating inflation.

Get 'em while they're hot. The rebate lasts 10 days only, but quantities may not even last that long.

Link to the rebate form:http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/media/downloadabledocuments/Remington-Ammunition-Black-Friday.pdf

Link to the best place I've found to buy it: https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/remington-steel.html

Disclaimer: No, I'm not affiliated with Remington, and I'm not trying to advertise. I just figure some of you may be glad to know about this.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
DON'T shoot hypersonics unless you want to trash your gun and guy a new one. The pressures are horrendous and they're notorious for wrecking guns...take this from first hand experience. One box wrecked a B2000 for me.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DON'T shoot hypersonics unless you want to trash your gun and guy a new one. The pressures are horrendous and they're notorious for wrecking guns...take this from first hand experience. One box wrecked a B2000 for me.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it, and I'm sure others do to. I've heard the same, which is why I went with Nitro Steel. I used it for my 20 gauge back in the day, and was very pleased with its performance.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Are you talking about a bulged barrel by chance?
No it wrecked the gas piston system. Had to replace several parts and seals to get it to work again. On Duckhuntingchat.com there are horror stories galore using hypersonics.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it, and I'm sure others do to. I've heard the same, which is why I went with Nitro Steel. I used it for my 20 gauge back in the day, and was very pleased with its performance.
Yep Nitro is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
No it wrecked the gas piston system. Had to replace several parts and seals to get it to work again. On Duckhuntingchat.com there are horror stories galore using hypersonics.
Hypersonics ended up ruining a barrel of my brother's gun. When they first came out, I guess their new and improved wad would fall apart and leave pieces in the barrel. The next shot would build up pressure and bulge the barrel. When my brother took his gun in, the smith said it was the 6th gun he had seen that month and all were shooting hypersonics.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Good info. Thanks

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Hypersonics ended up ruining a barrel of my brother's gun. When they first came out, I guess their new and improved wad would fall apart and leave pieces in the barrel. The next shot would build up pressure and bulge the barrel. When my brother took his gun in, the smith said it was the 6th gun he had seen that month and all were shooting hypersonics.
When I took mine in the gunnie told me that he hadn't seen a Browning B2000 in about 5 years and mine was the 3rd one he had in that month and all had been shooting hypersonics. I think all of them had the same issue too, messed up gas system but no barrel issues.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'd never run Hypersonics but Nitro Steel is a great factory load.

Reactions: LostLouisianian

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I think I had about 5 hypersonics left after we realized they were the problem. They're sitting under about 6 feet of water right now. I am sure the powder is good and soaked after 3 years under water.

·
Administrator
21,629 Posts
Ya gotta be kiddin me

Uh..........9 boxes of 12 ga #4 Hypersonics for sale...cheap.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Ya gotta be kiddin me

Uh..........9 boxes of 12 ga #4 Hypersonics for sale...cheap.
Oh I'm sure you could put it on KSL and find some sucker willing to pay a decent price for it.... :grin:

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Dumb question, why are the still producing these if there is that much of a problem? Seems like they should do a recall:!:

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Dumb question, why are the still producing these if there is that much of a problem? Seems like they should do a recall:!:
Remington refuses to acknowledge any problems and people are still buying them. Until there's a class action lawsuit nothing will change with them making and selling them unless demand dries up. I shot one in my 870 Wingmaster and it rocked the heck out of me and was about twice as loud as a regular 3" shell. I had just found out they were the cause of wrecking my browning and figured my wingmaster could handle them. After that one shot I reached into my pocket and pulled out all I had left and chunked them into the canal.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Wow Cabelas only wants $40.00 more a case than Rogers and nothing said about a rebate.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
5000 cases in 3 hours? Yikes. I ordered mine online just after 1:00am. Looks like it went through but don't have shipping confirmation yet. Hope they work.;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts