Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received an email from the DWR reminding me of the new baiting law for Utah that passed this last legislative session. Common knowledge for 99.9% of us forum members, after all it was a thread that received many comments.

I laughed a little and now I'm waiting for another law to be passed. I can see now that the foot is in the door, next they will try to pass a law that would require one using a tree stand to register it and give a GPS coordinate for the location. Wait.... lets place a $$ value for the registration to go along with it.

What has hunting come to in this state? It's turning into the west coast state just below Oregon.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
So I received an email from the DWR reminding me of the new baiting law for Utah that passed this last legislative session. Common knowledge for 99.9% of us forum members, after all it was a thread that received many comments.

What has hunting come to in this state? It's turning into the west coast state just below Oregon.
That's because they are all coming here.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
...now I'm waiting for another law to be passed. I can see now that the foot is in the door, next they will try to pass a law that would require one using a tree stand to register it and give a GPS coordinate for the location. Wait.... lets place a $$ value for the registration to go along with it.
We can only wish....

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Pretty sure Utah was the only state in the mountain west that allowed baiting for ungulates. You could say that we just became more like WY, MT, ID, CO, AZ, NM, NV

Next thing ya know they will make ya take a course and pass a test just to hunt! Son's A-B1tches! 😆
Washington and Oregon allow big game baiting, at least they did a few years ago when I last looked into it, but then again that isn't the mountain west

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I think it would be wise to look at Washington and Oregon, see whatever decision they make, and then do the exact opposite.

You may end up wrong eventually, but it’s going to take a while!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
This is an ironic gripe given the thread about how easy upland game hunting is. Baiting seems about the worst public facing side of western big game hunting I can imagine. Not to mention it flies completely in the face of fair chase. Good riddance.

Personal gear left on public land past 14 days should be confiscated. But I say they should start with trailer camps first given how many stay well past allowed timeframe. Tow em and charge em to get it back. I'm just done with public lands becoming miniature second homes for a handful of people. Insert similar dislike of trash like tree cameras here......

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
And to be fair, I don't think our resident Californian immigrant, LoneHunter, is to blame for most of our hunting woes. I say give the guy a little break for simply coming from a disliked state.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I see a lot of cattle in the areas that I hunt. I feel bad that they don’t have any mineral to lick. With this new law, can I still bring them some? I like to put it close to my tree stand because all animals are welcome where I hunt😉

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see a lot of cattle in the areas that I hunt. I feel bad that they don’t have any mineral to lick. With this new law, can I still bring them some? I like to put it close to my tree stand because all animals are welcome where I hunt😉
The Cattlemen are still placing rock out on the range. I did that for more than 20 years and it all went in the same spot every year. If one knows these areas, all they have to do is know where the deer/elk are coming from to get to it. Sit on one of the game trails a few hundred yards away and you would be surprised at what you find. You don't need to place a block or rock near your tree stand.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I've said for a while due to over crowding and people leaving stands, campers, trailers, tents etc on the forest for extended periods of time, they will move to a permit process with dates and lengths of stay. That is the only way to reign in the people leaving trailers and gear on the mountain for months on end.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
You can legally do that only if YOU own the cattle!

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
I've said for a while due to over crowding and people leaving stands, campers, trailers, tents etc on the forest for extended periods of time, they will move to a permit process with dates and lengths of stay. That is the only way to reign in the people leaving trailers and gear on the mountain for months on end.

-DallanC
The Forest Service and BLM just need to start ticketing and towing them.

People will get the message.

I reported one out on the west desert that some folks had developed. They had a 6 foot bricked in fire pit with a number of trailers parked around it.

The enforcement officer that I talked to kept asking me if it couldn't of been private property, I'm not sure if they even went to check it out since the next year it was still there along with the other 3 sites that I reported.

None of them were on private.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Forest Service and BLM just need to start ticketing and towing them.

People will get the message.

I reported one out on the west desert that some folks had developed. They had a 6 foot bricked in fire pit with a number of trailers parked around it.

The enforcement officer that I talked to kept asking me if it couldn't of been private property, I'm not sure if they even went to check it out since the next year it was still there along with the other 3 sites that I reported.

None of them were on private.

It's just an absolute joke that law enforcement pick and choose which laws they want to enforce and ticket. I think the "Tree Cops" are lazy and it would interfere with their Burger, Fry's and Milk Shake at the local choke-N-puke if they had to right a ticket and go to court. Pull off the side of a dirt road five feet in the grass or sagebrush and they'll be on you like fly's on sh!t.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
To be fair, a wildfire can cost us all millions while an illegal camp is mostly an annoyance. I'd love to see more enforcement but that's not happening until they fund the agencies better for more personnel.

And don't forget it wasn't that long ago that extremist where driving by federal lands employees and pointing assault weapons at them. That tends to affect the battles low level employees like FPOs are willing to wage. It needs to change but it's not laziness on agency part that has really led to this. And discretion in enforcement has always been a thing. Most of us are happy about being let off with a warning when we speed or run a stop sign, ie officer discretion.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
When a illegal camp is reported the least that they should do is to get off of their duff's and go investigate, not question the reporting person as if they didn't know where he was located at when they provide a GPS location.

At the very least they should check out the location. As I said, this is a permanent camping spot for these people. They have developed it on yours and my land denieing us the use of that location.

But as the evidence that I saw a year later nothing was done. The brick fire pit was still there on out land with a number of trailers parked around it with not a single person around.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I don't disagree with most of the content of the posts. What I disagree with is the assumption they are lazy and don't fulfill whatever regional or district expectation is set (can be more discretionary than the code).

I've worked with several FPOs and know many forest personnel. They don't tend to be lazy people. What they tend to be is understaffed and overtasked. It's been that way for 15+ years. When I did ride alongs, as FPOs aren't armed LEOs (at least that was the setup during my tenure), they were largely instructed to educate and redirect instead of citations. It's a long game strategy that I don't believe is paying off but it's not remotely rooted in laziness. The compliance vs cooperation philosophy is a long standing debate that isn't resolved.

I've reported several situations on public lands and every time they new about it and we're working on it already. Was I satisfied? Not really but I won't assume the worst of them.

And if you want more enforcement then write your congressman to fund the agencies for more personnel. I have but it seems to fall on deaf ears.(one conspiracy theory on the left is it's intentional to create failure to eventually justify privatization; like most such theories I don't believe it) Sadly most of our direct fees go to infrastructure as it use to be forbidden to use it for personnel and hiring. For reference, I was a solo field tech for an entire summer on a district the size of small states back east. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts