Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always shot 180 grain 30 caliber sierra tip bullets and have great success shooting them with great knockdown. However i am going to try out the 180 grain hornady red tip polymer tip bullet this time. I hear they are supposed to be much more accurate. I have never hunted with a polymer tip so i am looking for a few opinions on the matter. I have recently bought a new scope and have much more optical range now for my 300 WSM so i am needing more accuracy out to a longer range but i don't wanna lose good mushrooming and knockdown for just accuracy. Anyway any opinions that would help thanks in advance. Just a hunter trying to get as much info as possible. HAHA i left out that i am reload my own rounds.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Did you buy Hornady SST's? I think a 180 grain Hornady SST in .30 cal should knock down anything on this continent without any problem. The trade off of accuracy vs. slower expansion should not be a thing if you are shooting 180 grains. Yes the SST's do expand a little faster than I would like, but through my 30-06 they are pretty much the most accurate bullet out there.

I must say though... The sierras are a very good bullet as well.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Oh and for credibility sakes I have killed 2 bull elk with SST's in 165 grains. 1 was a 5x6 and the other was a 5x8 and they both went down instantly. I have also harvested a cow moose with 165 grain SST's as well. Deer I have lost count how many have gone down to a SST but I am guessing somewhere around 15

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
This thread should really be re titled "Polymer tipped bullets".

"Ballistic Tip" bullets are Noslers line of bullets and come in 2 flavors: Hunting and Varmint.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Standard constructed bullets work great in the right applications. Less than 3k and heavy for caliber weights. In other words don't expect 125 Ballistic Tips to work great out of your 300RUM.

Here are the weights for each caliber that I consider good in standard performance cartridges:

243-90
257-115
264-130
270-140
284-150
308-165
338-200

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Oh and for credibility sakes I have killed 2 bull elk with SST's in 165 grains. 1 was a 5x6 and the other was a 5x8 and they both went down instantly. I have also harvested a cow moose with 165 grain SST's as well. Deer I have lost count how many have gone down to a SST but I am guessing somewhere around 15
And I lost a great 300"+ bull with a 154 gr. SST.
And yes, they have been one of the most accurate bullets I have shot too.
I just won't use them on elk again.
Deer, I feel just fine about.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
And I lost a great 300"+ bull with a 154 gr. SST.
Beat me to it, I was going to post about your experience.
300 WSM is my favorite cartridge to date. I personally like the 180 grain Nosler Accubonds and 175 grain Barnes LRX Bullets.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm not a fan of the SST on elk in a magnum cartridge. Had a buddy almost lose his elk a few years ago with a 300win mag at 500 yards. He certainly had buck fever and hit this bull 12 times. The bull bled out and we found him the next day. Upon skinning and quartering not a single bullet penetrated more than 6 inches of muscle anywhere. It honestly looked like the bull had been shot with Vmax bullets shrapnel everywhere. I love the SST for plinking and when I need a better bullet I use the hornady interbond. The two bullets have the same point of impact on paper out to 600yds out of my rifle. This isn't a bragging post about yardage but at 500 yds the slug should have been traveling well below 3000fps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts