Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my info back on my first banded goose. She was an old bird. Born in 2000 and banded in 2001. I got her the middle of December in 2007. My bro in law got his info back from a banded goose he shot during the same trip. It was banded this year when it was too young to fly making it a yearling. We shot these birds the same day but out of different flocks. Is it common to have birds that old? I can see 4 or 5 years old, but 7 seems pretty old to me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
that seems old, but it really is average. I have shot 3 bands and 2 of the birds were 11 years old. The other was 9. I thought the same thing, but I have heard stories of birds going 15 + years

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That is about average for a goose. Out of the 15 banded birds I have got the oldest was 13 years. About half of the others were 6-9 years and the other half Juvi's. Its always a great feeling to get that band and then the certificate with it to see where the bird has been and how old it is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
KIlled a goose a couple years ago that was 13 years old.The band was worn paper thin on one side and was actually wore completely through in one spot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts