Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I’m not for bans on anything, I do think there’s reasonable steps we can take on semi-automatic weapons to make them obtainable while not as easily obtainable as other guns. We’ll see what the announcement is, the Supreme Court will strike most any executive action down as far as bans IMO given the current makeup of the court though.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Out of all the potential weapons we can own (excluding class 3), IMO a semi-auto 12GA shotgun is by far the most lethal and dangerous. A 12GA loaded up with #4 Buckshot can do a helluva lot more damage, quicker than a AR15 of any type.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
And I am sure that within a hour of his signing of the order that there will be court papers filed hopefully with a gun friendly judge.

Why worry about what is going to happen, it will happen so why not just sit back and wait to see just what is in the Executive Action that he signs?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stabilizing braces seems like an odd target IMO
that’s exactly what I thought. I haven’t heard of them being used in any of the mass shootings. Or “ghost guns”either...

sadly, I think this is just the start

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
that’s exactly what I thought. I haven’t heard of them being used in any of the mass shootings. Or “ghost guns”either...

I don’t. I think it’s for show saying “we did something on guns” when really they won’t do much at all.

Reactions: Woodchip

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don’t. I think it’s for show saying “we did something on guns” when really they won’t do much at all.
I hope you’re right. The statement that has
me concerned in the article is “initial set of actions aimed at addressing all forms of gun violence.”

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts

The guy in Boulder had one on the Ruger 556 pistol that he used.

They have been talking about ghost guns for quite a while

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Out of all the potential weapons we can own (excluding class 3), IMO a semi-auto 12GA shotgun is by far the most lethal and dangerous. A 12GA loaded up with #4 Buckshot can do a helluva lot more damage, quicker than a AR15 of any type.

-DallanC
This is true. It’s why I think some sort of further regulation for all semi-automatic weapons making the process a little deeper would be okay. I’m not for banning any of them. If everyone could come to the table in good faith some decent legislation on specific guns could be addressed that kept them available and also harder to get. The problem is one side says “they’re coming for your guns” the other side has its fringes that do want some guns banned, and nothing ends up being done at all. Democrats have a very slight majority in congress. There are Democrats I very much expect will oppose most gun legislation and would not pass bans. Even among a lot of Democrats major gun legislation is not popular. People like AOC are the loudest part of the party, they’re not the majority of the party. The truth is it’s simply a political football that gets ran down the field by both sides and neither are all that serious either way in regards to it aside from political gain. I expect little things around the edges to say “hey we kept our promise we did something” when it really won’t do anything.

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
The big problem with compromise is that the Dems all want it on one side, and it isn't their side.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
This is true. It’s why I think some sort of further regulation for all semi-automatic weapons making the process a little deeper would be okay. I’m not for banning any of them.
Ok, like what? The vast majority of the firearms used in shootings were all purchased legally. What additionally would you add to the current process?

-DallanC

·
Administrator
7,869 Posts
I find it fascinating that mass shootings are the primary catalyst for their action. But looking at the statistics, they only represent a very small number of firearm deaths proportionately.

More deaths come from domestic violence, robberies, gang activity, and other illicit illegal activities. Yet we seem to focus on one aspect (not that I don’t want them to stop).

Solution: arm grandmas, crossing guards, teachers, mailmen, pedestrians, shop keepers, DallanC, wives, mothers, husbands, etc.

If everyone could potentially be armed, I’m sure the bad guy will think long and hard about trying to commit a crime or about harming another person.

I know people will disagree, but I firmly believe more laws only hurt the law biding. After all, criminals aren’t people who follow the law.

·
Registered
410 Posts

Testing the waters to see what he can start getting away with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
The problem with the left is that they won't admit that the laws that are in place don't work. Their whole solution to a problem is to place more laws on the books for the crooks to ignore.

As a example here is what Colorado has, most of what the left want's in all states.

Magazine ban, no more than 15 rounds

Universal background checks for everyone

Red Flag law, where you can report a person and their firearms are taken away automatically even before a court hearing.

Here is a stupid one that the legislature just passed that the Governor will quite likely sign. If a firearm is stolen you have 5 days to report it. Now who wouldn't report a stolen firearm. They pushed this law through because of a homicide that happened with a stolen handgun that the owner didn't report for some reason. But how is this type of a law going to stop a crime?

As Bax stated, all laws do is to put more restrictions on the honest person, crooks could care less. They are already breaking a law by using a firearm or even possessing one.

As for restriction semi automatic weapons, what's next? Pump action shotguns?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I find it fascinating that mass shootings are the primary catalyst for their action. But looking at the statistics, they only represent a very small number of firearm deaths proportionately.

More deaths come from domestic violence, robberies, gang activity, and other illicit illegal activities. Yet we seem to focus on one aspect (not that I don’t want them to stop).

Solution: arm grandmas, crossing guards, teachers, mailmen, pedestrians, shop keepers, DallanC, wives, mothers, husbands, etc.

If everyone could potentially be armed, I’m sure the bad guy will think long and hard about trying to commit a crime or about harming another person.

I know people will disagree, but I firmly believe more laws only hurt the law biding. After all, criminals aren’t people who follow the law.
Bingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 285 Posts