Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question for y'all- My friend just told me about an idea or method or whatever you wanna call it- that you should break in your rifle or pistol by firing a few rounds, then cleaning the barrel, then shoot a few more and clean again, and then shoot and clean a few more times. He said it is supposed to improve the overall accuracy of the gun. It doesn't sound like this would make any difference. In fact, from what I previously understood, some, but not much metal residue actually increases shot consistency in a rifled barrel. Obviously you don't want a bunch of fouling clogging up your barrel, but are either of these methods true? Should you "break-in" your barrel by using the shoot then clean method? Any thoughts and or insights are appreciated!

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
It comes down to the personal preferance thing. Some do and some don't. Myself, I clean em after about 20 rounds down a new tube. Shoot another 20 and clean again. Repeat as needed until I felt it was broken in.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
I have tried both, breaking one in and not, and I dont think there is any benefit from it.

Clean the barrel real good on a new gun and then shoot it. Clean it when accuracy starts to drop off. Twenty shots and clean is a good rule of thumb for larger centerfire. Rimfires can go longer inbetween cleanings.

Most barrels in my experience need a couple of fouling shots put through the bore before they settle in and group up tight.

sawsman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts