Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is bass fishing fun and/or possible from shore or from a float tube or do you need a boat to be effective?

I'm a recent stillwater enthusiast and would like to still catch fish during the warm summer months when the trout are pushed deeper. You bass guys think I'll fair ok, or should I stick to streams and rivers until I can afford a boat. (that might be never) -)O(-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
It is both fun and possible from the shore or a float tube. I would start if I were you. You will have many more months of good fishing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,581 Posts
Nibble has promised to show me the ropes as a spikey newbie this year, I have a small boat and you would be more than welcome to come along if it's o.k. with nibble. I am not sure how he would feel about instructing 2 newbie slimer guys at the same time..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
orvis1 said:
Nibble has promised to show me the ropes as a spikey newbie this year, I have a small boat and you would be more than welcome to come along if it's o.k. with nibble. I am not sure how he would feel about instructing 2 newbie slimer guys at the same time..
Perfectly fine by me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
First off never say never. The future can surprise you. Second you can catch lots of fish from shore. I have a 13' two person Dave Scadden pontoon and I leave it home as often as I take it. I target smallmouth bass because I have never caught a largemouth that wanted to do more than give one jump, then roll over and give up. I love smallmouth bass, and I catch enough fish from shore to have fun. If you ever want to to up to Pineview or Jordanelle I have a two man boat like I said before, so let me know. I am by no means a pro, but I have become pretty good with soft plastics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You bass guys got some good karma coming your way. I'll definitely be in touch when the soft water revisits us. Thanks soft_plastics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
I do most of my bassin from my tube... And I have a boat! I love the tube because you can fish in close to shore and if there's a slight breeze you can stay pretty put where as with a boat, the breeze blows you everywhere if you're not anchored up. Not to mention that community ponds are the best place for bass.. Unless you live down south or are chasing the smallies.



Soft_Plastics said:
I target smallmouth bass because I have never caught a largemouth that wanted to do more than give one jump, then roll over and give up.
I won't argue that Smallmouth put up a bigger fight, especially when it comes to pound-for-pound but I've had some Largies that have put up some amazing fights as well... I love catching LMB! And Smallies! Bass are definatley my favorite but I also love catching the slimey suckers in the spring and fall with the fly-rod.

Go to some of the local ponds that have bass. Use topwater from your tube and fish early morning or late evening in close to shore. You'll have a freaking blast and will be changed for life as far as your fishing preferences go. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
I don't know where you've been catching your largemouth, but I am actually more impressed with them than the smallies for fight. Sure smallies fight more eratically, but when the largemouth makes a run, I have noticed they are stronger and use up my drag more than the smallies.

There are plenty of bass waters that are much better than community ponds up in Northern Ut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Yeah, I need to make a trip up to Mantua one of these days. I here the bass fishing up there is a blast! Good point about the Largemouth as well. I think Smallies like to swim straight down which often times makes it feel like the fish you've got on is bigger than it really is where is Largemout just take off. I caught close to 100 LMB over the summer and wasn't dissapointed by very many... They strip out your line quite often and I even had a monster break me off on 10lb P-line over the summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
jdmckell said:
Yeah, I need to make a trip up to Mantua one of these days. I here the bass fishing up there is a blast! Good point about the Largemouth as well. I think Smallies like to swim straight down which often times makes it feel like the fish you've got on is bigger than it really is where is Largemout just take off. I caught close to 100 LMB over the summer and wasn't dissapointed by very many... They strip out your line quite often and I even had a monster break me off on 10lb P-line over the summer.
Broke your 10lb P-line? ****, loosing that one had to hurt bad. I lost a few on the 8lb line. They ripped my palomar knot, but I switched to the 10lb after that and havn't had one big enough to break it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Yeah, loosing that guy DID suck. I had him on a polimer knot as well. The sucky part about that fish was he was only about 4 feet in front of my tube when I lost him. I had a TOTAL good look at him and was already getting excited about how huge this guy was and how it would probably break my personal best record. :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
That hurts just reading about it. Reminds me of the time I ALMOST caught my first and only lake trout, just to watch it break the 20lb line that got wrapped around the downrigger weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
I am a small mouth fan also, however when you see a large mouth go airborne hitting a buzz bait, all other fish seem less important. There is a reason bass fisherman stand in god awfully hot weather to catch those beasts in the summer.

As for LMB giving up and rolling over, I have seen them do that in cold water or when sick. You have to remember that LMB like shallow water and are a warm-blooded fish. They will never give you a true fight unless the water temps are high. Take a trip down south and give them a try!

Oops I meant cold-blooded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
grousehunter said:
I am a small mouth fan also, however when you see a large mouth go airborne hitting a buzz bait, all other fish seem less important. There is a reason bass fisherman stand in god awfully hot weather to catch those beasts in the summer.

As for LMB giving up and rolling over, I have seen them do that in cold water or when sick. You have to remember that LMB like shallow water and are a warm-blooded fish. They will never give you a true fight unless the water temps are high. Take a trip down south and give them a try!
they like shallow water but the big ones love deep water
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top