Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son, my dad, and I went fishing for a couple of days in So. Utah. We didn't catch the number of fish that we thought we would, but we did catch a couple of nice fish. The water is very clear, the fish were spooked, and these fish get tons of pressure. I hear about bass lakes in other parts of the country and even in Japan that get tons of pressure, but I wonder if any lakes get the pressure that utah bass lakes get, its crazy out there. The lakes are small and people that fish them regularly are comfortable pulling in 50 yards a head of you and start fishing a head of you. Never have a guy pull in behind me and fish the shoreline that I had already fished. I bring this up to emphasize the pressure these lakes get, I don't really care that much about getting cut off, but these bass have seen it all. Even during the prime time fishing, the spawn, these fish are wary. Had a great time with my son and Dad, my son is headed to Utah State for school this summer, I hope to hit Hyrum Reservoir with him a few times, I'll let you know how we do.

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
Those are some dandies!

There are some great warm water fishing opportunities around Utah State. Hyrum, Mantua, and all of the little lakes just over the Idaho border can produce some really nice fish. Do a bit of digging about those small lakes in southern Idaho and go try them. Most have size restrictions of what size fish you can keep and produce some really nice fish as a result. If the water levels at Newton ever increase you can find some good bass in there as well.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Largemouths are awesome eating too, one of my favorites.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Yuk! I can eat almost anything and think most warm water fish belong in the lake lol.
OK here's a deal. You catch em, I'll filet em and cook em for you then you decide. You ain't never et no cajun style filleted bucketmouths... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm gooooooooddddddddd

Reactions: ajwildcat

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I'm game and would like to know how to properly cook them
Give me a call when you have a few caught and I'll come over and filet and cook them for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts