Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First a huge thanks to everyone who has helped me with this hunt so far. I've had lots of guys share advice, pack in bait, etc...

I put my bait out on Memorial Day, so it has been 8 days. I haven't had a single hit on either bait site. Both are in the AF Canyon area about 3.5 miles apart. This is what I've done so far:

1. Packed in 100-150 lbs. at each site of grain/candy/dog food/baked goods/old fruit all covered in butter, sugar, honey or molasses, and cherry jello. I also dumped about 2.5 gallons of bacon grease laced with butterscotch pudding and anise extract at the base of each bait site.

2. Hung a dead fish/rotten fruit in a game bag at each site

3. Hung call scent (some trapping stuff, plus anise, beaver castor, gold mist from Northwoods Bear Products)

4. Refreshed each bait site 3 times, did a honey/marshmallow burn at each site, cooked bear crack at each site (today).

I would love to harvest a bear, and I'm starting to feel the pressure since the hunt starts on Saturday.

Any advice? How long should I wait before abandoning these sites? I really don't want to do that because clean up will be rough and getting bait site approval takes some time and effort, but I also don't want to waste my time.

Thanks for the tips or words of assurance. LE hunts can be so stressful. :neutral:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sounds like a ton of work!

I understand the frustration which is why I am a terrible fisherman! I think patience here is the best route until you have no action over an extended period of time.

Did you place the bait stations in areas you've traditionally seen bear or bear sign? Assuming you did, then you're likely to get some hits on it.

Good luck! I drew one of the Spot & Stalk permits this year and am pretty excited. I am hoping for some success as I've seen so many bears where I'm headed. Plus there's the perk that I can pick up a spike elk permit and hunt them at the same time.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there are bears in the general area, but it's certainly taking longer than I expected. Good luck on your bear hunt. My hunt has been tons of fun so far just prepping for it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If there are bears in the area they will find your bait. They always do regardless of what bait you use. Be patient and keep burning your bacon grease and bear crack. They will come.

This time of year I would be putting out some meat scraps as well.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Hang in there, my buddy i helped in the past bait in the wasatch west area took more than 3 weeks for bears to show up. But once they did, it was pretty incredible. He went from 0 bears to about a dozen different bears and ended up taking a gorgeous strawberry blonde boar that squared 6'. Just be patient and have fun!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. This helps put my mind at ease. I was scouting for new bait sites last night. Maybe I'll hold off for a while.

AF

·
Registered
173 Posts
First swbuckmasters bear thread and now this! I cant wait to draw a tag! Good luck! Look forward to seeing some pictures.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pics. I believe they are all the same bear. I was at full draw on the third picture, but he never provided a shot. He keeps winding us at the bait, and hasn't been back since last Wednesday. I hope we haven't spooked him permanently.

He isn't the biggest bear, but I believe he is a boar.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does this pic identify him as a male or is that just his tail? There is a steep learning curve to this whole hunt, but it sure is a lot of fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
He is a gorgeous bear, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by him if you get him. As for spooking him off, I bet if you give it a bit he'll be back

1 - 20 of 55 Posts