Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post up that Bear Lake has finally Iced over, safe ice conditions reported off the pump house and 3-6" on the West Side of the Lake. The cisco are running in full force now. Cisco Beach Iced over last night with about an inch of ice this morning. It should be safe Ice by this weekend as long as the wind stays calm and temps low.

Enjoy the cold weather!!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been hard to get the boats out the last bit becuase the Ice piled in all the boat ramps before it completley froze. This weekend it will probably slow down a bit with all the cisco but next weekend should be great, usually the greatest time of the year is the first of Feb. for me out there.

Goodluck all!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: Bear Lake Ice. Please elaborate.

Thanks for the reports and feed back. NBR can you elaborate a little about Feb being the best time of the year? Do you mean for trout through the ice or boat fishing for lakers? Like a lot of others who do not get excited about ice fishing, I would drag my boat clear up there IF there were open water to troll or cast off. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not an expert when it comes to fishing Bear lake in Feb but in my opinion when the cisco run is over the numbers are fewer so it is easier to catch trout with cisco. Just for the fact that there are fewing cisco in the water means the trout will target any cisco they can find that is easy to catch. I'm sure you could catch them with a boat or through the ice. NBR might have other reasons though. WH

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wiperhunter said:
I'm not an expert when it comes to fishing Bear lake in Feb but in my opinion when the cisco run is over the numbers are fewer so it is easier to catch trout with cisco. Just for the fact that there are fewing cisco in the water means the trout will target any cisco they can find that is easy to catch. I'm sure you could catch them with a boat or through the ice. NBR might have other reasons though. WH
This is what a lot of the old timers around think. Something to do with the fish eating many cisco during the spawn and when it ends they want more. Bear Lake is interesting to say the least, but can be GREAT fishing. Not many bait fish survive as there is very little food. Whitefish and Cisco are the trouts main source of food in the lake.

I would bet 75% of Bear Lakes fishing pressure happens in three months, Jan-Feb, and October (Mac spawn). The spring though can produce good fishing both trolling and jigging. The summer around here for fishing is extremely spotty, sometimes fishing for days with not so much as a strike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts