Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I got a bear this year and we packed the meat out. I'm looking for ideas on the best ways to cook it. I know you have to cook it to 160 to kill possible trich. This is the first time I've hunted/cooked bear.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
1,669 Posts
Save the shanks for Ossobuco -

You can't go wrong with braising (slow cooking) anything.

Meatballs would be another great choice.

There are a bunch of good things to try in the complete guide to hunting, butchering, and cooking wild game by Steven Rinella.

·
Administrator
21,456 Posts
Congratulations on the bear and good on you for taking the meat out.

For a number of years we went to Ontario and would usually bring home 4 to 6 bears depending on the size of our hunting group. The hinds and loins were BBQ'd on a spit and the front shoulders and scraps were made into sausage. I had a hog cooker and was the "sausage guy" so I was involved in cooking much of it.

I always trimmed all the greasy, stinky, fat off a black bear. The bear hind legs and/or loins were placed on a spit and wrapped with chicken wire secured with tie wire. Aluminum foil covered that. The bear was cooked "low and slow" overnight. After about 1/3rd a keg a beer 2 or 3 of us would pull off the foil and then tighten and retie the chicken wire on the meat. A liberal amount of Goober's Homemade BBQ sauce (lots of vinegar and sugar) was slobbered on the bear meat. Hickory wood was added to the fire and the meat was finished "low and slow" taking about 3 six packs of beer. Oh, man it was great let me tell ya.

There's been a few bear recipes posted here. I have bear Salami on here and UWN member longbow has an interesting thread on bottled grizzly bear. I recommend using the UWN search engine and see what you can find.

more later

Please keep us posted on your bear cooking endeavors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts