Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pushing 43 this year and for almost all of my life I've done a pretty good amount of spotting each year. Up until 2008 I had never seen a bear out in the wild. In 2008 my wife drew a LE elk tag so we did some extra spotting that year in some new places. I saw my first wild bears that year and even 3 in one evening. Then another single later on in the same area.

Over the years since then I've usually seen 1 or 2 bears a year. Until this year. So far in 2015 I've seen 14 bears in the Nebo loop area. The vast majority in an area that I've looked every single year and never seen a bear. I've seen several cougars in these areas, but never bears.

Bear sign has increased over the last couple of years and this year the bears themselves seem to be popping out of the woodwork. Here's a crappy picture of one of them. This was taken through my spotting scope about 1500 yards away so it's pretty poor.

Anybody else seeing a big increase in the bear population?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
There have been several sighted where we hunt and seen far more fresh sign this year than before, mostly due to the weak winters and plentiful plant life that has also increased the numbers among all wildlife.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think that was a pretty good bear, and I know for sure that the one we saw the week after was quite a bit better. Those 10 bear points I have in my pocket are starting to burn a hole.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I dang near hit a Nebo bear in my Jeep a few days ago!

Gotta good CLOSE look at it....:cool:...;-)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Last year Book Cliff Archery Trophy Elk 10 Days 17 Bears. 3 That came into camp one was huge the res were out on the range.One that attacked R 3D Deer target at 2:30 in the afternoon 25 yards behind R trailer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I'm from Payson and my brother and I have done a lot of hunting along the nebo loop. We haven't actually seen any bears but have seen a marked increase in bear sign everywhere up there. I haven't noticed much sign in the other areas I hunt.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Why are there not more tags given out?
I thought they did increase tags this year? And they also changed regs to allow using a rifle over bait. I'm not a bear hunter but my understanding was that the increase in bear population is very real and they are allowing many more hunting opportunities because of that. Which if you hunt bear, is a good thing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts