Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally drew the early tag on Beaver. I have been doing research on where to find the goats. I am planning on being there every weekend in August.
I would still like more info if anyone wants to lead me to places to look. I just had knee replacement surgery a year ago but I still get around pretty good.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

·
Senior Goof
3,612 Posts
Congrats! Easy place to find goats. Up high there are some big boys.

Puffer Lake and Big Johns Flat are places people love to go and scout.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
You are in for a great time. My wife had the tag in '14. The main issue we had was the DWR did goat captures 2 days before the hunt with Helicopters. I raised hell over it and thats why there is now a checkbox stating they might be doing captures prior to your hunt.

It worked out in our favor actually. Goats were pushed north off the big face, and thats where we ran into them. We unloaded up on the top above Big John and rode south. We were about 3/4 of a mile from the truck when we ran into a dozen or so with 2 nice billys. My wife waited prone for hours for them to stand up and she could take a shot. Eventually she got a nice shot off and killed one. It immediately went on a death run off the side, but it wasnt too far down from the top.

If you have questions PM me. Here's the link to my wife's billy:

https://utahwildlife.net/forum/12-big-game/93490-wifes-mt-goat.html

-DallanC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to spend sometime on Beaver this past weekend. Mostly above Big John Flat. We did see around 30 goats. It is beautiful up there.
So I have a couple of questions
1- The OHV traffic was crazy. I know that its part of the Paiute trail. Constant from 9am to 6 pm. I assume it will be like that for the Labor day weekend opener. Will it lessen after and does it affect the goats?
2-The wind started up midmorning and was really gusting through evening. I almost lost my hat a couple of times.
Does the wind always blow like that?
Again thanks for the help. I am heading down again next week.
I cant wait for the hunt.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I was able to spend sometime on Beaver this past weekend. Mostly above Big John Flat. We did see around 30 goats. It is beautiful up there.
1- The OHV traffic was crazy. I know that its part of the Paiute trail. Constant from 9am to 6 pm. I assume it will be like that for the Labor day weekend opener. Will it lessen after and does it affect the goats? I wouldn't count on it to get less busy. But I also don't think the goats really care.
2-The wind started up midmorning and was really gusting through evening. I almost lost my hat a couple of times.
Does the wind always blow like that? Pretty much. Expect significant winds up there in the afternoons, but often it dies down right before dark.
Good luck, and post pics!

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Cool. We had a similar experience, went down late July to scout, the highest gate was still locked unfortunately for us (FS said there was a 17ft drift that had not melted yet. Discourgage we hiked up 1/4 of a mile from the gate and glassed around, immediately saw 30'ish feeding up the hill south of us. Steeeeeeeeeep country!

1- The OHV traffic was crazy. I know that its part of the Paiute trail. Constant from 9am to 6 pm. I assume it will be like that for the Labor day weekend opener. Will it lessen after and does it affect the goats?
In the post coronavirus world, no it wont die down. But it wont matter.

There are very few roads up there and the goats easily stay well away from that highly traveled trail.

Zero wind during our hunt. We spotted the goats about a mile from the horse trailer... moved into a better position and waited for them to move and get a shot (they were laying around lounging). Almost 2 hours of waiting before they moved. Had the goat down lots of picture taking and back to the trailer by 1pm.

Super fun hunt.

If you are hunting Delano area... you can hunt south from the road there, or go up from the lake on the south end. South end is steep... but you will be into the better billys sooner than coming along the top from the north.

My wife shot her's right where Karl Malone got his billy years back.

-DallanC

·
Registered
68 Posts
mt delano

Hiked Mt Delano......saw about 100 total mtn goats in 4 groups between there and Mt Hollly.....I had binocs with me but you could see them all with the naked eye. DM me your # and I can send you some pics.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Keep an eye on the weather. You should be able to see whether or not you'll be dealing with wind up there. Right now, I'd say that Thurs - Saturday is going to bring a little wind to the top of the Beavers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts