Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post to the forum. Hoping a couple folks might could give me some tips for locating elk on the Beaver West OTC unit. I picked up a multiseason any bull tag this year. Had no luck killing a spike on the southwest desert, but hopes are still high with rifle season around the corner. Anything helps, thank ya!

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
We've hunted the Beaver West a number of times. The elk are sparse - but they are around.

Popular areas are those just west of I-70 / I-15. But you can find elk all the way from I-70 to south of highway 21. The hard part is that they don't seem to always be in specific areas. That, and the amount of pinyon / juniper in this area just makes hunting elk hard. Our best success (archery cow) has been closer to Wildcat. We've had eyes on bulls around Chalk Hollow / Mahogany Knoll -- but, like mentioned, that's some tough country to hunt elk (archery). We've also found elk up Sunnyside Hollow \ Ranch Canyon \ The Park. It's all good country. With your multi-season tag, you'll be better off. But it's a lot of country to locate a bull in.

good luck.

Reactions: ns450f

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
We've hunted the Beaver West a number of times. The elk are sparse - but they are around.

Popular areas are those just west of I-70 / I-15. But you can find elk all the way from I-70 to south of highway 21. The hard part is that they don't seem to always be in specific areas. That, and the amount of pinyon / juniper in this area just makes hunting elk hard. Our best success (archery cow) has been closer to Wildcat. We've had eyes on bulls around Chalk Hollow / Mahogany Knoll -- but, like mentioned, that's some tough country to hunt elk (archery). We've also found elk up Sunnyside Hollow \ Ranch Canyon \ The Park. It's all good country. With your multi-season tag, you'll be better off. But it's a lot of country to locate a bull in.

good luck.
My brother in law tried it in the Beaver West for a few years. He liked the area, but never did get anything. I have heard about a few bulls taken, but not many. And, only one big one.
I'm sure the Beaver boys know the area.

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
One problem that I have seen with the "any bull hunts" in the southern units is that the DWR does not want elk in the unit. They migrated down from a unit that has a number of elk and then they just stay.

Look at a few of the other any bull hunts. The Henry Mountains, and Vernon come to mind, the DWR doesn't want elk on either one of those units but there are some there and if you know the area you may be able to find one.

·
Registered
546 Posts
One problem that I have seen with the "any bull hunts" in the southern units is that the DWR does not want elk in the unit. They migrated down from a unit that has a number of elk and then they just stay.

Look at a few of the other any bull hunts. The Henry Mountains, and Vernon come to mind, the DWR doesn't want elk on either one of those units but there are some there and if you know the area you may be able to find one.
Spot on, it's the same as the pine valley unit. They want the elk irradiated on these units. They are managing them as deer units and offer the bull tags as a way to keep the elk off the unit. That's why you can pay $10.00 for a cow elk tag to use during your deer hunt on pine valley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good grief I didn’t even see that. Enough about deer, tell that bear story!
Well the DWR finally approved my bait sites TWO DAYS BEFORE THE HUNT lol. So my father and I set up a bait station the night before the hunt thinking that we may not see anything come in for a few days since we had just been in there. Well opening morning we get in and get set up as it’s just getting light, and while we’re getting set up under our tree this big ol boy come tromping in around the bait site but wouldn’t give me a shot through the trees and he walked off a few seconds later. I was down on myself thinking that that was gonna be my one opportunity at a bear of that caliber, but I was sure wrong. The very next evening when we came in the bait site was torn to shreds, so we knew we might have a shot after all(mind you we hadn’t seen a single thing but birds and chipmunks for a day and a half of sitting.) Well at last light with my hopes low I watched that same bear waddle right up to the side of the bait station, but he still wouldn’t present himself in way for me to make a good shot. Even while holding still and perfect wind he knew something wasn’t right, so he turned to walk of. As he turned around and stepped into a small gap in the trees I hammered his shoulders with a 7mm rem mag. He growled, stood up, and bit at his would then ran 10 yards to the other side of the bate ALL ON TWO FEET!!! In about 30 seconds he gave out two death moans and I knew that that meant he was finished.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I’d like to go to the henries, but living and working in Cedar limits me to my big dreams lol. I’m really looking to mix it up from just hunting Zion, but still keeping kinda close to home. Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

good luck.
I’ve been checking out a few spots near wildcat on OnX, and it looks alright. I really appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Hear that Cedar City, guys? We're fancy now! Haha, well good luck on your elk hunt. I have never hunted the area you are asking about, but figured it would be like open bull hunting most anywhere else in Utah, which is tough with low success rates. At least out there you might run into much less of a crowding issue which would be a huge plus. Good luck with it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts