Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my e-mail yesterday. I finally drew my Manti limited entry tag after 19 years of applying. Yay for me! I was super excited about the whole thing until I realized that I did not get an e-mail for my son yet. So I did what I have been doing for years and checked my credit card transactions.....and wouldn’t you know it, I have two $285 charges pending. Was this a mistake? I finally received the confirmation from the DWR this afternoon, no mistake. My 12 year old, 4’10”, 75 lb punk kid just drew the same tag I have accrued 18 points for with 0 points. He has never hunted anything before in his life!!!! Now the dilemma, I don’t think I really want the stress of trying to hunt down and pack out 2 bulls in the same week. Even with a lot of help this would be daunting. Plus I would like to be with him for his hunt ( My older son drew a youth any bull last year and it was an awesome experience for the both of us) I can probably turn my tag in but I may forfeit $285 dollars and my bonus point for the year. I then would set myself back a couple years (the point creep is real folks). What would you do if you were in my shoes?

My now 14 year old son’s bull from last year.

·
Super Moderator
3,394 Posts

Last bullet point under the heading “Refunds.” If you surrender the permit 30 days before the season starts, you’ll get a refund, less a handling fee. Also, you’ll stay at 18 points.

Edited: After thinking more about what I would do, if I was ever in your situation, I would turn my tag back in and focus on helping my son have the experience of a lifetime. While there is no guarantee of health or drawing the tag next year, I highly doubt I'd be worrying about that elk tag I turned in if I was on my deathbed. Regardless of the decision you make, best of luck this fall!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Nothing is a guarantee in life, other than taxes and death. Your son is 12, has many LE hunts ahead of him. What is he (or you) expecting himself to kill? 330 bull or 380? Its a decision only you and him can make. Talk with him and see what he would want you to do.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
If I were in this situation, here is how I’d look at it:

I want as many different elk hunts as possible. I don’t want to burn up all my hunting opportunities in one year, especially a LE elk hunt. I am assuming this is for the early rifle tag? Here is what I’d do- I’d turn my tag back in knowing that I’m drawing it again next year, or in two years at the most if there are a bunch of pool jumpers ahead of me. I’d give this hunt to my 12 year old knowing that with 0 points, it’s going to be 30+ years before he’s likely to draw that tag again, if at all. With the way things are changing, this might become a OIL hunt for him for many reasons.

To me, for my situation, this would be a bit of a no brainer. But everyone’s situations are different. I wouldn’t fault you for doing anything on this one, but I’d be surrendering my tag, going out with the 12 year old to hopefully find a giant, only to be able to do it again in the next two years for myself.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I’m with vanilla on this one and I can speak from experience as my brother and I both drew early rifle elk tags back in 2013. Having 2 tags is great until that first bull dies in an unfortunate hellhole. I spent all day helping my brother grunt his bull out of there on day 4 and it made me realize we had bit off a bit more than we could chew and it crapped all over on my desire to kill another one and have to bust my butt again. I did not end up killing a bull and the god awful taste of LE elk tag soup never fully goes away.

No doubt you are going to want to make sure your son scores before you focus on your tag and that means you may end up with only a day or 2 to hunt on your tag. So, I would turn your tag back and focus on your boy’s amazingly awesome luck. Then in a year or 2 you can have your tag to yourself and give it your best effort which is what that tag deserves. Everyone is different though and perhaps the challenge and experience of you both having a tag is what you want but it’s not something I would ever want to do again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can have one tag for free, one tag for 18 points or two tags for 9 points each. My inner gambler/mathematician/miser says take one tag for free and really enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
It sounds like you plan on just the two of you on the hunt. If that is the case I would say yes turn your tag in and help your son. Even with plenty of help it is hard to do justice to two tags at the same time.
Either way I hope you have a great time.

·
Senior Goof
3,605 Posts
Did you put in as a group or separate?

If it's a group - doesn't he have to turn his in as well?

If it's separate - you should be able to draw again next year. In that case I would turn my tag in and hunt with him this year, then enjoy the SAME experience next year!

If you go the guide route, there is one person I would want the most on that unit. He also isn't a big box (WL,MB) guide which I think is a good thing. So if you need any names/numbers, PM me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Turn it in my bother didn't draw the Manti and he may be the alternative. I will have to ask how many point he had I was think 17.

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
My idea with Utah is don't put in for a tag that you don't expect to draw.

Now that both of you drew the tag, go hunt it. I know the odds of you son drawing that tag with 0 points are out to the moon but it is possible, we see it every year.

There are also a lot of what if's out there. What if your son gets sick or hurt playing sports and can't hunt? What if you get hurt or sick and can't take your son out on the hunt? What if something happens to your family where neither of you can get out on the hunt?

If you feel it is in your best interest then go ahead and turn the tag back in, just don't wait until the last moment so that another hunter can have time to get into the unit to scout it. Even just giving someone 30 days is not enough in my opinion to scout a unit for a LE elk hunt. On my LE hunt I started scouting the weekend after July 4.

·
Registered
13 Posts
were kinda of in the same place that you are i drew a bull permit this year and of course 2 other family friends drew bull tags for diffrent units and than we also drew 4 deer and a antelope of the family. in short we going to have to diversify but were not even considering turning tags in and at 70 with the hams permit i have 45 days go find a shooter sure glad im retired

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
You only live once.
This is correct. However, when the stars align for you like they did here, you don’t have to only hunt once.

For you all saying go hunt both tags, you realize he’s in the max point pool for that tag, right? Why wouldn’t you want multiple years of this instead of just one?

Like I said, for me, this one is a total no brainer. Hunt more years than less is what I’d do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is correct. However, when the stars align for you like they did here, you don’t have to only hunt once.

For you all saying go hunt both tags, you realize he’s in the max point pool for that tag, right? Why wouldn’t you want multiple years of this instead of just one?

Like I said, for me, this one is a total no brainer. Hunt more years than less is what I’d do.
Not to be a Debbie downer, but what if he isn't around or physically able to hunt next year? Sh*t happens. Hence the "You only live once " comment.
I used to think like you do about these things. I turned in a Limited Entry deer tag twice because I had work obligations one year and then because I wasn't seeing the caliber bucks I wanted to kill the second time. My dad and brother each had the muzzy tag the second time and so did I until I turned it in. I went out and hunted with them but not as much as if I would have had the tag. Didn't camp like I would have if I had a tag so I didn't get to spend as much time with them as I wish I would have. That was my dads last hunt, he died just before Thanksgiving that same year.
There only so much sand in everybody's hour glass and when its gone you cant get it back.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I turned a early season buffalo tag back in 2014 thinking I would get it again soon.
Still waiting.......

I had a bunch of fires at work AND had to testify in a court case I couldn't get out of......of course it was that week.

That was a big mistake. Now I'm getting too old 😂

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
And you can die tomorrow after keeping both tags, then what? I don't make plans on "what if I die before this happens." I just live my life and when my time comes, it comes. I seriously doubt it's going to matter to me when that time does comes whether I drew an elk tag or not, though. If that happens my wife can be happy she has an extra $285 in the bank and no taxidermy costs or elk on the wall. 🤣

And he is going to get an awesome opportunity with his son. If the horrible hypothetical of something happening if he turned his tag in comes to fruition (I'm washing my hands of that bad karma, just as an FYI), then what better way to go than dedicating a hunt entirely to your 12 year old son?

2Full, if you turned back in a tag that you still couldn't draw in the next 7 years, than you didn't analyze the situation very well if you thought you'd draw it again soon. His situation is that unless a massive amount of pool jumpers come over ahead of him (40 or more people), he's guaranteed to draw the tag again in 2022. If that did happened where a bunch of higher point holders jumped in, then it would be 2023 at the very latest. Hunting big bulls in the rut on the Manti every couple years seems like a heavenly experience to me!

Again, everyone do you, but I would be looking to get as many different opportunities to be in the field in as many different years possible. I'm guessing one of these tags gets wasted this year if he keeps them both. And if not wasted, severely diminished. I wouldn't even have a gun in my hand until my son's bull was down, processed, and back at a butcher or my house. That's a lot of pressure to get back up and get a second bull.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts