Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much to report today but we were on the ice (Lost Dog) at 4:30 sat afternoon and headed back around 10:30 that night. We couldn't have asked for better weather but the fish Gods must have been in a bad mood. We've never missed so many fish due to such a light bite but from the evidence we put on the ice it's pretty clear that we needed smaller equipment. My biggest berb was just under 20 inches and the smallest about 10 and all looked like they were sportin the malnurished look. The biggest was a female completely spawned out and what was really weird was the blood line was half the thickness, deep red in color and the full width of the fillets. A Game and Fish cop stopped by to check our licenses and mentioned that someone out in the main body had iced a mack somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 lbs. There were probably ten other tents spread out on the ice so fishing pressure was minimal. Temps only got down to 14 and the wind was slight until just after dark as it died to nothing. "Still a great day on the ice".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice report S4L, glad to hear you found a few. They can sure be light biting fish at times. The burbot we caught were skinny also, I'm sure it was a result of them spawning because the ones we caught on our first trip were fat and full of food. I was also worried about that blood line, so I soaked one of the last batch we cooked in sprite before I fried them and they were fine. For those interested, here is a link to another burbot report from this past weekend.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bi...view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info wp, the GF we spoke with told us he had seen a lot of fish caught in the Buckboard area earlier that day and that the best bite in the area we were fishing was two weeks prior. I'm thinking I'll head up to Sulpher creek next weekend to get a feel for the upcoming tourney, hopefully they haven't closed it to prefishing yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I,m heading up later this month. how heavy of a line would you suggest? I,m currently rigged with 4 lb line for panfish.

·
Registered
147 Posts
McFishin said:
I,m heading up later this month. how heavy of a line would you suggest? I,m currently rigged with 4 lb line for panfish.
Bug and I were able to land the Bots on 4 lb line, I think your good with what you have.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We were using 6 and 8 lb test but we also had a couple of poles with 10 and some heavy braided line but we used a 12 lb leader. The problem with the larger burbot is that they snake around at the hole and can break off with lighter line. If you catch any of the larger macks it is also nice to have the heavier line. WH

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nibble Nuts said:
Puddles said:
[quote="Nibble Nuts":2jxj8m60]More dead burbot is a good thing. I tip my hat to you.
So why don't you join in on the Bash?
I want to, its just the time and money thing standing in my way right now. When is the next bash?[/quote:2jxj8m60]
Next year. We are going to make it an annual event.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I spent some time there this past weekend . My target was to hook up on a 10#er + but I failed . I hooked burbot , bows , macks , and one looked like a koke that broke me off at the hole . Sunday I tore up the bows after some new line on my reel . I did loose one rod&reel to the depths of the Gorge .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hellsangler69 said:
I spent some time there this past weekend . My target was to hook up on a 10#er + but I failed . I hooked burbot , bows , macks , and one looked like a koke that broke me off at the hole . Sunday I tore up the bows after some new line on my reel . I did loose one rod&reel to the depths of the Gorge .

What area did you fish? Sucks about your rod & reel hope it was a HUGE fish!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Nice pics Hellsangler. Glad to hear you got into the burbot. I tip my hat to you as well. Now I need to do my part in the eradication effort.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MF, I use 6lb excel and it works well. I also prefer the least amount of weight so my plastics will flutter down with a little more action.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts