Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used Nosler Partitions for big game. They have never let me down. The 180 Partitions aren't performing well in my new 300 Win. It was suggested that I try Berger VLD's. They are well under MOA @ 100 yards. I'm looking for feedback on how well this bullet performs on big game.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I have a vast network of shooting associates who have used Berger bullets in the spectrum of calibers for hunting. To sum it up in one sentence, they will work fine until they don't.

Many people swear by them but I have heard of more failures with them than any other bullet. I have killed a handful of animals with Bergers and The very similar A-Max and have not had a failure although damage has been severe in all cases and I have almost always found little bits of the bullet suggesting massive separation.

Having shot Partitions you will be spoiled. Bergers will not even hold a candle to the fail-safe, every time, consistent performance of the Partition.------SS

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
Why mess with a good thing?

Keep shooting Partitions. Berger makes great target bullets but I'd rather not take the gamble on a potential bullet fail.

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
I personally have harvested antelope, deer, and elk with Berger VLDs. I have shot them out of a 243, 6.5x284, and a 300 Ultra. They can do A LOT of damage to the animal, since they do not stay together. I have had wonderful results with them and will use them for 5 antelope tags, two deer tags, one elk tag, and one black bear tag this year.

They can be finicky when it comes to the proper seating depths, but once you find "the load," their accuracy is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have never had a problem with VLD. They shoot great and have good results on game.
Me and kids shot three elk last year with no problems.
Great bullets

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I've never had any problems with Bergers or Partitions. Then again, I've never heard of a Partition malfunction, ever.
I'll still hunt with Bergers but I've always had 100% confidence in Nosler Partitions and Accubonds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts