Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up this morning with my bro.
Took the sled and right as i went to go down the ramp i stopped. Guy at the store said I probably would not want to do that as it has only been frozen for a few days. Thanks fir the tip man.
I proceeded around the edge and checked the ice depth on the east side of the cabins and where it gets smooth, newly frozen, it is only about 2 inches. Hopefully no snow and more cold temps will have it ready by the first of next week. As I was leaving though I saw a couple guys out on that. Man they are asking for it. Guys be careful.
I went to next bay over north from bay marina and had a bite in the first minute...then nuthin!
I drilled a few more holes and my brother had the honey hole today. He caught 14 with 2 over 22". I caught 3 less than 20' from him. So i kicked him out of the hole and within a minute had one up to the hole but he spit it as he was half way out. No count dang it!
So strange how one hole is catching them and I can't do didily. I drilled 10 other holes to no avail.
It was so great to be out though.
I was fishing in 23 feet with about 5 inches of ice. Wanted to venture out further but I got kids and wife and wanna go home to them. No need to be stupid.
Good luck to all you Saturday berry fishers and be careful out there.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Glad you stayed safe. Not everyone with the drive to fish stops to listen to reason (me, when I lose a lure *\-\* ), so that's good that you used your judgment.

It's great that you got out.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Good for you guys. I took my boys up there today also. We were on 3-4 inches of ice West of the Lodge. My boy fought a giant to the hole and as he pulled it out the hook broke (rat finkie). The ice was clear enough to see what it was, so the fish story I am telling puts the cutt at about 24-25 inches. I iced one 21" and had 3 or 4 hits. It was sloowwww, but that is what I always find around the marina.

We will head back up tomorrow or maybe hit Rockport.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts