Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Either of the two you mentioned, plus many others, could serve you well. The autoloader bug bit me hard a few years back and I've not yet recovered. They're my choice for just about everything I do with a shotgun. My standard response to a question like this is go buy what fits you best. No single factor will impact how well you shoot a shotgun more than fit. And frankly, it's pretty tough to go wrong with any of the major manufacturers anymore. Especially those that start with the letter "B" (Benelli, Beretta, Browning :) )

The first autoloader I bought, after scrimping and saving, was a Beretta 391 Urika Gold. Awesome gun, very light recoil, but didn't fit me as well as others I shot later. Also a little too pretty for waterfowling. As a general rule, your gas operated autos will provide the lightest recoild, as oppossed to recoil op guns. However, manufacturers are now implementing technology in recoil op guns that greatly reduces felt recoild as well. I currently have a Browning Silver and a Benelli M2 in my cabinet. I love both of these weapons, even though they are very different in some regards. The M2, and it's big brother the SBE2, have recoild dampening featurers that I quite like. I shot the older SBE1 in nothing more than shirt sleeves a time or two, and didn't feel it was terrible. But I didn't get a ton of shooting in on those occassions.

If you're leaning towards the SBE, you owe it to yourself to look at the M2. It has basically the same features as the SBE, minus the semi-hump back receiver and 3.5" chamber. But I have found a 3" chamber to be just fine for me. You can't go wrong with the Beretta auto either, and like the Benellis, they have smaller chambered models, like the Urika and Technys, available other than the Xtrema with the 3.5" chamber. It will also save you a little $ on the price.

The Browning Gold and Silver are excellent guns, as is the Winchester SX2, which is basically the Gold under the Winny nameplate.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts