Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What fishing equiptment brands do you see as the best?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Alright, I can't resist this one so I will throw out a list of my favorites.
In no particular order:
Abu Garcia
Gary Yamamoto
Gamakatsu
P-line
Shakespeare
Berkley
Outlaw Baits

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
THE MINNOW MAN (redsides4bait.com / chubs4bait.com) :lol:

Couldn't help myself there...sometimes his minnows work better than the actual domestic species. I'll be putting them to work again, this Saturday.

Real Brands:

Blue Fox (super vibrax)
Rapala
Ugly Stik
Okuma
Stren Low Vis Clear/Grn 10lb
(I need to try that P-line)
Tough Bubble (discount bubbles will not do the way my wife breaks them)
Storm Finesse Minnows
Jake's

I've got a bunch of other stuff that I haven't caught fish with (even my Panther Martin's). What I listed is what seems to work best for me.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I like my Abu Garcia rod and reel. My Okuma fly reel and St. Croix Fly rod. Also like Ugly Stik and Panther Martin. Love the Minnow Man as well! Where you headed this Sat LOAH?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
JAT83-

Yes, you need to try the blue fox super vibrax spinners. They don't pay me to say this crap. The brass #2 is honestly the best lure I've ever used. Casting upstream or downstream, just keep it in the water and you'll end up with fish. No joke.

Other spinners may work better, but I haven't gotten any to do that yet.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
LOAH said:
JAT83-

Yes, you need to try the blue fox super vibrax spinners. They don't pay me to say this crap. The brass #2 is honestly the best lure I've ever used. Casting upstream or downstream, just keep it in the water and you'll end up with fish. No joke.

Other spinners may work better, but I haven't gotten any to do that yet.
I'll definitely go grab some then! Where did you get yours at? Sportsmans/cabelas? I would assume they have them there.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Good luck! Every time I try to pick them up from Wal*Mart, they're out.

Kmart is either out or their display is in such disarray that I can't find them.

You'd think a big place like Sportsman's would keep them on the shelf, but sometimes they're out, too...Or at least don't restock their shelves enough.

Cabela's has always had them when I've gone in. I think they charge $2.88 for them, but that's not too bad, I guess.

Size 2 or smaller work the best for me, but I've had 6 inch fish take a size 5 on a river before.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
For flyfisning gear here is my vote:

Orvis, Scott, Sage, Winston, G-loomis (premium brands)

airflow, SA (lines)

patagoina, Sims (waders)

Spinning gear: Shimano and an ugly stick....

Lures: RMT, Shata tackle, rapala's, daredevils

Places: Cabella's, Sportsmans, fishwest.net

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Anything that works and fits your budget! I've pack-ratted quite a bit of gear over the years, and these days most of the fishing I do is stillwater fly fishing for trout. The stuff that gets used most:

Sage XP 9' for a 6 weight 2-piece
Sage Z-Axis 9'6" for a 7 weight 4-piece
Redington or Bauer reels
Scientific Anglers lines
Simms waders
Simms wading boots, rubber/studded soles
Bucks Bags pontoon (although my favorite brand is probably Outcast)
Action Optics polarized sunglasses

·
Registered
127 Posts
You mean the stuff I cant afford?
I use what i can get with what i got.
My rod is a Quantum that I have had for 17 years, and my reel is a Daiwa that has been on their for at least 7. I have a fly rod, but its just a $70 Cabella's rig, with a Okuma reel. Nice by my standards. I had to save up for that one.
I have a pontoon, not sure the brand though.
My waders are the cheapest breathable Hodgman's, but i am really careful with them, and they work well enough. Felt-soled wading boots.
As far as spinners go, every big brand has its plus's. I like Panther Martin's, but i tend to use them more, so thats what i catch more fish on. Although LOAH has convinced me that Blue Fox's are pretty dang good as well.
I use Gamakatsu hooks, or anything in that quality range simply because i got tired of losing fish to dull, bent, or broken hooks.
I use Berkley Trilene line, but am strongly considering shelling out some dough for the P-Line. I wear my line out so fast though that its hard to bring myself to pay that much.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Waders: Simms

Rods: Sage, Winston, Scott

Reels: I use an orvis mid-arbor and a pflug trion but wish I had a Lamson ;0)

Flylines: SA mastery series

Leaders and tippet: Rio

Hooks: tiemco, diachii, and dai riki

floatant: loon

flies: the ones I tie (because even a total idiot can tie up a CDC&elk or bugger and slay), the ones cheech ties, or whatever the fish says are the best.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use a St. Croix Avid spinnig rod and a Quantum energy reel. Love them both.

As for lures... Luckycraft#1, Rapala#2, Mepps#3

Fly Rods: Like I would have any idea!!! hahahaha

·
Registered
980 Posts
Pretty much flyfish only now, but I used throw spinners.

For Fly Fishing

Rods: Sage, G Loomis, and St Croix, never had anything else though

Reels: STH (love their extra cassette design), Orivis

Fly Line: Rio, Airflo

Tippet: Umqua for me. Tried Rio, I wasn't impressed.

Waders: Anything NOT hodgmen, I like Simms

Wading Boots: Same as above

Vest: I like a waist belts (fanny pack), they don't hurt my back. Use a North Face one called the Hiker I think.

Flies: Soft hackle's, midge pupa patterns, or what ever is catching fish

Spin Fishing

Rod: Small 5 foot Ugly Stick. I loved that thing, (recently gave it to a nephew)

Reel: Abu Garcia

Line: I was a big fan of 4lb spider wire, not sure whats out now though.

Lures: Jakes spin a lure, and their spinners, Panther Martin black and gold.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
LOAH said:
Good luck! Every time I try to pick them up from Wal*Mart, they're out.

Kmart is either out or their display is in such disarray that I can't find them.

You'd think a big place like Sportsman's would keep them on the shelf, but sometimes they're out, too...Or at least don't restock their shelves enough.

Cabela's has always had them when I've gone in. I think they charge $2.88 for them, but that's not too bad, I guess.

Size 2 or smaller work the best for me, but I've had 6 inch fish take a size 5 on a river before.
I went to Walmart last week and they had a bunch in stock so I picked some up! I believe they were like $2.37 a piece...they also had a 5 pack of them (size 2, with various colors) for $8.78, so I grabbed that instead.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts