Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Best elk bugle!

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  mrkrik 
#1 ·
What's your opinions on the best elk bugle out there to get a another bull to bugle back in gong to buy one and want to start practing right now for my fishlake hunt! Never to early to start practing my bugle thanks for any advice I appreciate it!

#2 ·
I've distilled my two or three years experience (it's not much so take it for what it's worth) to a realization that I'd rather have a good cow call that I am comfortable with than a bugle call... but since I can never resist throwing a few bugles out there I like the flexibility of a mouth reed. I currently use Primos. My favorite is the red Imperial Reed, which fits my mouth nicely and I feel I can be pretty convincing with both bull and cow sounds.

#3 ·
Reed all the way!
Soft cow calling---most effective.

Tl23, you must have drawn one of the expo permits?

There is another UWN member that drew this permit as-well---;-)
I hope she harvest's the biggest FL bull of all...

Reactions: huntress
#4 ·
While there are certainly times a good bugle is worth it, I typically only use them to locate and then try and work a bull after that with cow calls. My typical bugle is a squeal that a young spike or satellite bull would make, and just about any bugle out there will do that. I want the bull i'm talking to to think he can walk right over and kick the living sheesh out of his competitor.

#6 ·
Loa is one of my favorite places on earth!

I know quite a few folks there.....

Spent 45 days in that area last year.

#8 ·
For all elk calls, I am a fan of Primos. Pick up one of their "mastering the art," videos for calling elk and have a wonderful hunt!

For cow calls, I really like the ivory plate single (diaphragm) and the hyper lip single. For a bugle, I really like the new bullet bugle.

+1 about what goofy said about soft cow calling.

#10 ·
Loa.. Lyman.. Fremont> Bicknell>>Off and on 53 years of goofing off down there.My best friend who has since past away married a gal from Lyman got to see a ton of that country.One of my buddies also lived in Torrey showed us a lots of cool areas. Even though my family is from Sanpete County. I have a
special spot in my heart for Wayne County. You will find a Bull worth taking.

#11 ·
I no all those little towns it's got a spot in my heart also I just love the country down there! And that's the plan I'm gonna spend a lot of money this year with going down there every other weekend at least trying to find the biggest baddest bull! It should be a neat experience

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.