Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what y'all are willing to share about better places to hunt with horses or on foot. Particularly in northern Utah. I know about Henefer (not sure how good of an area it is), but are there any other good spots? Any high-level tips for hunting them (recognizing no one is going to share there secret productive spots 馃榾). Anyway, I've only ever had luck hunting elk in Utah on private, but I'm determined to figure out how to be successful on public. Avoiding the motorized areas seems like a good start, and we do have horses.

Thanks in advance!

Registered
I live by the Henefer unit, and there are elk, after January. Before that if you see one you better buy a lottery ticket. Everyone sees the elk off the freeway and they think they are in there all year. There may be a couple that stick around, but they will be in the very back next to private. There are deer on the unit, but you better not pass up a 2 point or spike. Very rarely someone shoots a 3 or small 4 off the unit. It gets pressured hard and really not that much area for how many people use it. Your chances are better else where because in the first couple days those deer pile onto private ground that isn't pressured. I know most of the landowners and they rarely hunt it and never let anybody on it to hunt. If you have horses I would try to find a bigger piece of public that you can get deeper into.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live by the Henefer unit, and there are elk, after January. Before that if you see one you better buy a lottery ticket. Everyone sees the elk off the freeway and they think they are in there all year. There may be a couple that stick around, but they will be in the very back next to private. There are deer on the unit, but you better not pass up a 2 point or spike. Very rarely someone shoots a 3 or small 4 off the unit. It gets pressured hard and really not that much area for how many people use it. Your chances are better else where because in the first couple days those deer pile onto private ground that isn't pressured. I know most of the landowners and they rarely hunt it and never let anybody on it to hunt. If you have horses I would try to find a bigger piece of public that you can get deeper into.
Thanks for the informative reply, Tail!

Registered
I'm just curious what y'all are willing to share about better places to hunt with horses or on foot. Particularly in northern Utah. I know about Henefer (not sure how good of an area it is), but are there any other good spots? Any high-level tips for hunting them (recognizing no one is going to share there secret productive spots 馃榾). Anyway, I've only ever had luck hunting elk in Utah on private, but I'm determined to figure out how to be successful on public. Avoiding the motorized areas seems like a good start, and we do have horses.

Thanks in advance!
Get FS/BLM maps which show trails and you might consider getting active with Back Country Horsemen of Utah - Back Country Horsemen of Utah

Good strategy to look for walk-horseback areas.

Administrator

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forum!

Reactions: laughfactor

Registered
If you have horses, that opens up some options. Not really any secrets here. The Uintah's is your best bet for any bull. Ogden has some pockets, but I don't have experience there. Salt Lake has some pockets too, but horses aren't allowed in a lot of it. Go to Cache, Wasatch, or Oquirrhs for a spike unit. If I lived up there, I'd have you take me and I'd show you exactly where to go. You'll figure it out. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts