Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering from some of you experts optics guys out there. What spotting scope would you recommend. I am not going to spend 2k dollars on one I think 1k is my max that i want to spend.what would you guys reccomend. This spotter will be strictly for spotting animals in the western states from a far and adding a phone skope to take pictures.is vortex any good or are they all hype. I heard excellent reviews about the Redfield rampage but it's alot cheaper get what you pay for scenerio kind of scares me and i dont want to buy another one for a while.whats your thoughts. This forum seamed kind of slow let's hear some thoughts

·
Registered
36 Posts
A bit more info: Is it a scope you'll be packing? Are you looking at a weight range? Which mm are you looking for? Are you trying to narrow down a manufacturer first?

I am all over Vortex. I have their Viper HD right now and am looking at upgrading to their small Razor. They are a great scope for the money and their warranty can't be beat. Narrowing down the model will be tougher, but they are a great place to start.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A bit more info: Is it a scope you'll be packing? Are you looking at a weight range? Which mm are you looking for? Are you trying to narrow down a manufacturer first?

I am all over Vortex. I have their Viper HD right now and am looking at upgrading to their small Razor. They are a great scope for the money and their warranty can't be beat. Narrowing down the model will be tougher, but they are a great place to start.
Looking for a 20x60x80 preferably but I am open. As far as packing it will be used alot for sitting at my cabin retreat snapping photos of elk deer moose bear. From 1000 yards and beyond. But I will be packing it in the back pack on occasions but not on any over nighters or pack trips. I am looking into some high powered binocs for that

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking for a 20x60x80 preferably but I am open. As far as packing it will be used alot for sitting at my cabin retreat snapping photos of elk deer moose bear. From 1000 yards and beyond. But I will be packing it in the back pack on occasions but not on any over nighters or pack trips. I am looking into some high powered binocs for that
But don't get me wrong I will be packing it for scouting trips

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Ask springvilleshooter about his Kowa, its a lot better than the Viper HD for just a little more money.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt Kowa the leader of the big 3 ?? Doesn't it go:

Kowa > Swarovski > Leica > others. I've looked through Kowa side by side a Swarovski and the Kowa was amazing.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My Kowa is amazing. After years of hard use it still holds up against the best glass out there. I haven't been in the market for a while so I don't know about prices but if you can find a Kowa in your price range I wouldn't shy away. ------SS

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I pulled the trigger and went with the vortex viper hd 20 60x80. I got it for 800$ so now I can still afford some 15x binoculars gonna be a good year for spotting some critters thanks for the replies

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
well I pulled the trigger and went with the vortex viper hd 20 60x80. I got it for 800$ so now I can still afford some 15x binoculars gonna be a good year for spotting some critters thanks for the replies
Hope it works out well for you.
Hawke optics is another good option that could have been looked at.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come to find out amazon was out of stock at that price so I am back on the market. I will look into it.
Looks like Amazon did me a favor I think I am going to pass on vortex. Any zen ray users out there the hawke looks like a nice one as well. Out of those and a nikon or alpen what one we old you guys buy

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My Kowa is amazing. After years of hard use it still holds up against the best glass out there. I haven't been in the market for a while so I don't know about prices but if you can find a Kowa in your price range I wouldn't shy away. ------SS
+1, the Kowa glass is crazy good. My buddy has the 80mm Viper and the 66mm Kowa is substantially better. You want the fluorite lenses with come with the TSN XX3 and XX4 models. The 663 or 664 is about $1000 with the eyepeice which is what I have. The 883 and 884 models go to a 100% fluorite lense which is even better than the other models. This is a huge test done by cornell. Here is the summary but the full report is worth a read.

http://www.livingbird.org/netcommunity/bbimages/lb/pdf/ScopeChart2008.pdf

·
Registered
282 Posts
I bought my razor in that same size of your viper for $950 last November from Al sports for $950. Well worth the drive to Logan for the better glass.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts