Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
What ever you decide to buy, I think you should go with a scope that has an interchangeable eye piece. Then you can save up in the future and buy a wide angled fix power eye piece, like the 30x or 50x fixed. Those wide angled eye pieces are very impressive and bring in a lot more light, have a much bigger field of view and seem to be more clear then the 20-60x. Even in the swaro scopes, the wide angle lenses are much better.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What ever you decide to buy, I think you should go with a scope that has an interchangeable eye piece. Then you can save up in the future and buy a wide angled fix power eye piece, like the 30x or 50x fixed. Those wide angled eye pieces are very impressive and bring in a lot more light, have a much bigger field of view and seem to be more clear then the 20-60x. Even in the swaro scopes, the wide angle lenses are much better.
Thanks for all of the advice guys I am glad now that my original order didn't go through. I am going to stretch the budget a bit I think and evaluate all of your guys recomendations

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Two considerations kept me from the 85mm Razor.

1- Cost. And not just the cost of the scope. To get a tripod that legitimately could keep that scope steady, you either have to go really heavy or super expensive for a light weight model.

2- Weight. And not just of the scope. See #1 above. The extra weight of the scope combined with the extra weight of the tripod (unless you break the bank) ends up being much more than 'just a little.'

·
Super Moderator
3,645 Posts
I personally have the Razor 11-33x50 and love it - I'd rather have less magnification and better glass than higher magnification and subpar glass. I am not a guy who is very concerned about counting inches and have no trouble seeing antlers at 1000 yards. It's light enough that it is hardly noticeable in the pack and takes up very little space. Check out Kents Market in Tremonton, they have an optics shop in the front of the store that I buy all my stuff from. On average, a person can usually save $100-$200 by going through them.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Two considerations kept me from the 85mm Razor.

1- Cost. And not just the cost of the scope. To get a tripod that legitimately could keep that scope steady, you either have to go really heavy or super expensive for a light weight model.

2- Weight. And not just of the scope. See #1 above. The extra weight of the scope combined with the extra weight of the tripod (unless you break the bank) ends up being much more than 'just a little.'
Tripod depends on how "tall" you need it to be. I have a $25 Vanguard micro that holds it rock solid but its super low height. I use it more for resting the scope on the hood, perfect height.

But I also did get a SLIK D700 tripod that holds it rock steady at full standing height... again I dont pack with that... ever, but its sooo comfortable to stand there naturally with the scope at eye level, drink in hand.

But honestly, I have like 5 different tripods now... all have their uses.

-DallanC

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.