Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Glad they got him!! To bad ,beautiful animal.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Besides the horrendous poaching of this buck I cant believe the level of greed displayed by this individual!! That buck he took legally before the poaching was the buck of a lifetime for most. To turn around after bagging a buck like that and poaching this buck is unfathomable!!

·
Super Moderator
9,625 Posts
Any of you remember the guy from Montrose, Colorado back in the 70's that was killing 200" bucks all over the place that they found out were actually poached? I remember the outdoor magazines calling him the mule deer whisper for being able to find trophy bucks where ever he looked.

The last that I heard about him he was looking at some major jail time.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
If I was gonna poach a deer that would be the one.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Poached would likely be the best way to prepare that tough old bugger. Leave it to Gooby to come up with the best culinary solution.----SS

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
You would think that you wouldn't mount a buck that you poached and put it on display at an expo.
Actually, that is the crazy dumb thing about a lot of poachers...they are driven by their need to brag about their kill, so they have to show them off. Mounting it and displaying it is to be expected by some of these dumb pricks. Social media is another way that many of these jackwagons are being caught...they just have to show off their kills.

This is, in my opinion, a symptom of what is wrong with hunting these days--too many people are driven by the need to brag about their kills. For these people, the joy in hunting is bragging about their exploits or kills. I think it is sad...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
This is wrong and I certainly do not condone any type of poaching but there is a semi humorous side line to this- I will stay out of names but the poacher has something to do with Big Piney High school sports- they are called the Big Piney Punchers- when they played Pinedale- the Pinedale fans where chanting
Big Piney Poachers Big Piney Poachers

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
I read a few of the comments at the end of the story, and they range from a lynch mob to "he is just a human and humans make mistakes." I love it when people say that he needs his hunting privileges taken away forever - he poached once, what makes people think he won't do it again??

Why is it that the wildlife agencies put such a low value on the individual animals? It seems that every other industry in the world uses a fair market value approach when setting a price or replacement value. I think the fine of $5,000-$10,000 is pretty low. In my opinion, make this guy pay up - maybe $40,000-$50,000.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Why is it that the wildlife agencies put such a low value on the individual animals?
I go the other way, why do individuals put such a HIGH cost on a animal? 300k for a AI deer tag? Are people that insane?

I really feel lately like antlers are the modern day Idol's for alot of people. People build up such a fenzy, demand over antlers that it drives alot of sketchy behavior, poaching, way beyond their ability long range shooting, wounding 3 or 4 before they finally kill one, trespassing, etc etc. I just dont get it. Geeze I dont even pick up a shed when I'm out hiking. I just dont understand it personally...

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
I go the other way, why do individuals put such a HIGH cost on a animal? 300k for a AI deer tag? Are people that insane?

I really feel lately like antlers are the modern day Idol's for alot of people. People build up such a fenzy, demand over antlers that it drives alot of sketchy behavior, poaching, way beyond their ability long range shooting, wounding 3 or 4 before they finally kill one, trespassing, etc etc. I just dont get it. Geeze I dont even pick up a shed when I'm out hiking. I just dont understand it personally...

-DallanC
Great, valid points! I agree completely with the statement that antlers have become idols for some people!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts