Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If anyone would like pointers on caping an animal before their hunts, please feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to show you how-- No strings attached.

Also, if anyone in Northern Utah County knows how to cape well off the head/face and wants to make some extra cash money this Fall, please get in touch with me. I have a few days here and there where I need to be out of town and could use a little help now and then. Just need to cape off the head and put the cape in the freezer. It would be just a few evenings/hours here or there-- nothing too committed- and I will make it worth your while.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
You can always ping me... I usually manage to get the hide off without lopping off my fingers.

-DallanC

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't have the time to help you out, but I am curious how you prefer your clients bring their capes in.

- Do you prefer they not cape them at all?
- Cut up the neck and use a y cut?
- Cape the neck out a use a cut at the antlers to remove the cape?
- Do you have suggestions for getting as much hide and hair as possible around the antlers?
- Suggestions for caring for a cape if you cannot get it off the mountain for a few days?
- turn the ears or leave them for you to turn?

Probably more than you were looking for. I have caped a few animals over the years and like your suggestions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Packout, Where are you Located? I have a LE Archery Bull tag for the FishLake unit. Will be my first elk if i am successful. I Wouldn't Mind some pointers on how the entire process goes after the kill. I Have been watching constant youtube videos and i seem to understand most of it but could always use some hands on Pointers thats for sure! Thanks

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So it is best to bring me a tanned cape so I don't have to deal with the mess of blood. haha Great questions Dahlmer.

#1- DO NOT Salt a cape unless the cape has been fully prepped. If someone does not know what fully prepped means then do not salt the cape. (I know you didn't ask, but I always say it when talking about cape care.)

A whole animal riding in the back of the truck can damage the cape. Mounts are not cheap, so I recommend at least getting the cape off the body before transporting it, which will give you a better mount.

I prefer people to cape them off as much as they are comfortable/able.
Most people bring in the cape removed from the body, but still on the head. If a person knows how to remove the cape from the head then the animal is easier to pack and the cape can usually be better cared for. Many people do not know how nor are they comfortable caping the head. No need to turn anything unless you want to salt the cape in the field.

Always cut the cape from the back of the head toward the rump staying on top of the neck/back. (allows you to cut with the grain of the hair) I like a Y incision. And use a flat blade screwdriver to remove the hide from around the antler bases. I pack a cheap flat blade with me on my hunts to cape and other uses.

Care of the cape is keeping it cool, in the shade, or cooler (if it is caped off the head) and not allowing it to dry out. Cool the cape by letting it sit flesh side up for an hour or so and then put it flesh to flesh and put it loosely in a cotton game bag. Capes can spoil faster than meat. Never leave a cape in a plastic bag.

I can send a Cape Care document to whomever wants to PM me their email.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Packout, Where are you Located? I have a LE Archery Bull tag for the FishLake unit. Will be my first elk if i am successful. I Wouldn't Mind some pointers on how the entire process goes after the kill. I Have been watching constant youtube videos and i seem to understand most of it but could always use some hands on Pointers thats for sure! Thanks
I am in American Fork. You are welcome to come by and I can give you some pointers. If you are too far away then there should be a taxidermist near you willing to help. Any decent taxidermist would be willing to show you. Best of luck on your hunt.

·
Super Moderator
10,014 Posts
For practice on caping out a animal hunters should just do it on a small bull or deer that doesn't matter if they ruin it or not. Don't wait until you get somewhere you need to cape one out to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts