Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys and gals a question for those wiser and less befuddled than I. So my 13 year old boy drew for Buck Deer and Cow Elk in same area. I purchased a Spike tag and from my understanding with the buddy hunter thing as long as we have valid tags and we were both present he could fill my tag or I his..... Is this correct interpretation ?

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
You'll have to apply for the mentor program for him to legally harvest on your tag. It's not just about having the permit and doing it. And as stated, you may not legally harvest on his tag.

·
Senior Goof
3,612 Posts
Weird if he can harvest dad's tag even if he has his own licenses and hunter safety. That seems less like mentoring and more like party hunting....

BUT, I am thinking out loud because this is still new. Trying to figure it all out. If the rules allow for it, rock and roll. Have your son knock down 3 animals.

To add, and these guys can correct me, but he should be able to shoot that cow during the deer hunt. Don't quote me.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Weird if he can harvest dad's tag even if he has his own licenses and hunter safety. That seems less like mentoring and more like party hunting....
On the FAQ page see the questions, "Who is eligible to be mentored" and "Can a minor participate if he or she possesses a separate big game permit?"
By rule the youth must possess a Hunter Education number. There is a separate Trial Hunter Program that is out there that allows a person to hunt for three years prior to taking Hunter Education (http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-utah/hunting/1416-utahs-trial-hunting-program.html). This program is not limited to youth, anybody is eligible so long as they purchase the appropriate licenses and have an appropriate Supervising Hunter.

The boy has a buck deer and a cow elk... dad has a spike elk... if the boy wanted to be mentored on the spike tag I don't see anything wrong with that. He'd be able to fill the same number of tags that I or anybody else could (1 buck deer, 1 bull elk, and 1 cow elk). Now, if the boy were to go and purchase his own spike tag, then according to the rules (cannot have more than one tag for each antlered species) he would not be able to be mentored on dad's spike tag.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info guys ! I read it but for some reason I just couldn't wrap my head around it. It's all about him getting as many opportunities as I can get him to get a chance at something. Trying hard to keep that fire stoked up in him

·
Registered
44 Posts
So guys and gals a question for those wiser and less befuddled than I. So my 13 year old boy drew for Buck Deer and Cow Elk in same area. I purchased a Spike tag and from my understanding with the buddy hunter thing as long as we have valid tags and we were both present he could fill my tag or I his..... Is this correct interpretation ?
Just buy your boy a spike tag. You can have a bull and a cow tag in Utah in the same year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts