Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there has been a lot of discussion about the new elk management plan, proposed hunting equipment changes and the 2016 big game recommendations. Just wanted to post a quick reminder that the RAC meetings begin tomorrow night. The full RAC schedule is below - we hope you'll attend and share your feedback!

Northern Region
November 10, 6 p.m.
Weber State University
Shepherd Union Building, Room 400
3848 Harrison Blvd, Ogden

Central Region
November 12, 6:30 p.m.
Springville Civic Center
110 S Main St, Springville

Southern Region
November 17, 5 p.m.
Cedar City Middle School
2215 W Royal Hunte Dr, Cedar City

Southeastern Region
November 18, 6:30 p.m.
John Wesley Powell Museum
1765 E Main ST, Green River

Northeastern Region
November 19, 6:30 p.m.
DWR Northeastern Region Office
318 N Vernal Ave, Vernal

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Thanks for the info, Amy.

That sure is a full agenda. There is no way a RAC will be able to fully discuss the changes which are being proposed. Looks like a good year to drive some changes through-- kind of like riders on Bills in Congress. Put so much info out there that the public/Reps have no chance to understand and discuss it all..... Not saying this was done purposely, but it seems to be much more than a 3-5 hour public meeting can accommodate.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Thanks for the info, Amy.

That sure is a full agenda. There is no way a RAC will be able to fully discuss the changes which are being proposed. Looks like a good year to drive some changes through-- kind of like riders on Bills in Congress. Put so much info out there that the public/Reps have no chance to understand and discuss it all..... Not saying this was done purposely, but it seems to be much more than a 3-5 hour public meeting can accommodate.
Then go to the meeting.....send an email to the wildlife board with your thoughts on all the subjects, and attend the wildlife board meeting. With all those opportunities you should have enough time by the end of the month to read through and give your opinion on the subjects.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Amy, Is the southern region meeting in Cedar City or Richfield? The info you posted and what I could find on the dwr website says Cedar City Middle School but the address listed is for Richfield? Im sure it's a simple typo being that meetings have been held at both locations.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Amy, Is the southern region meeting in Cedar City or Richfield? The info you posted and what I could find on the dwr website says Cedar City Middle School but the address listed is for Richfield? Im sure it's a simple typo being that meetings have been held at both locations.
I believe it's in Cedar this time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good catch, huntinfanatic. You're right: it was a typo, and it's fixed now. Next week's meeting will be held in Cedar City.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Can anybody who is in the loop summarize what the most significant changes are to the elk management plan? Were any changes made to address the concerns that the numbers on the Wasatch may be overstated and that they are killing too many cows on the Wasatch? Wasn't their a committee formed to address these concerns? It is difficult to tell what was changed in the plan without comparing the two plans side by side.

Thanks.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
393 Posts
Anybody go to the Northern RAC last night? I'd be interested in hearing how the "discussion" went.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The PLAN was very general and did not go into depth of numbers, issues......The NRAC votes against allowing magnified scopes on muzzys.

Reactions: klbzdad

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Can anybody who is in the loop summarize what the most significant changes are to the elk management plan? Were any changes made to address the concerns that the numbers on the Wasatch may be overstated and that they are killing too many cows on the Wasatch? Wasn't their a committee formed to address these concerns? It is difficult to tell what was changed in the plan without comparing the two plans side by side.

Thanks.

Hawkeye
Hawkeye,
This problem will most likely be addressed next spring when permit
numbers are set for 2016.......

Im REALLY hoping the DWR does an actual physical fly count on the Wasatch
this winter/spring.

Also imput from the commitee, hunters, and 2015 hunt surveys will be taken into consideration as-well.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
There are items in the Elk Plan which should help address issues on the Wasatch. Such as Private Lands only permits to distribute hunters better, which could also move elk around. Other changes will happen when the Unit Management Plan is addressed.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
The PLAN was very general and did not go into depth of numbers, issues......The NRAC votes against allowing magnified scopes on muzzys.
This is good news! Some testy emails have been sent the past little while. We have to draw the line somewhere. Just compare Idaho and colorado regs to here. We have extremely liberal regs for ML.

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
Thanks Amy. Those are some pretty big topics to discuss and I am sure that there will be some pretty strong opinions on the subjects at hand. I hope we can get some good things accomplished this year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts