Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday’s tend to be days to try new recipes and grill at our house. Tonight we had a taste test between antelope, caribou, and elk. All steaks were prepared the same way (i.e. wet aged, seasoned, doneness). Each person was given a slice of each steak on a plate and couldn’t vote until all the pieces of meat were gone off their plate.

Antelope took the top honor, followed by caribou, and then elk.

My wife swore up and down that she wouldn’t have voted for antelope as being the best, if she would’ve known! 😂

I really wish I had some bison, moose, and deer to throw into the fray.

For those of you who have tasted wild sheep, is it really the best? I’ve heard people rave about how good the meat is, but I wonder if their raving is rightly backed by the taste or just backed by the rareness of the sheep hunting experience.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Ya, well taken care of pronghorn are great. My personal favorite "meat" is Dove. Mt Goat is similar to mule deer IMO.

I've heard Cougar is the best of all wild game meats, but I've never had a chance to try it. Seems slightly strange though as a food.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I vote for Antelope but I've never had sheep. The Cougar I tried reminded me of grouse but that might just be my recollection, it has been a while.

Most my family will vote Antelope, elk and deer in that order. But as my wife is fond of saying, "you just haven't had it cooked right" when making comparisons.

·
Registered
416 Posts
We ate pronghorn backstrap tonight as well. So tasty! I’ve had one that was tough but all the pronghorn I’ve ever had have been very good.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
My last two big game animals were a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep ewe (aged at 6.5 years old) and a buck pronghorn that was at least a few years old. In my opinion, the sheep was a little better. Tender and mild - nothing to complain about. It's possible that my opinion was influenced by the memory of the hunting experience. It was pretty fun reliving the hunt in my mind every time I cooked some up and ate it. I'm actually getting hungry for it as I type this. I'll probably go after another one as soon as I an justify the cost (I paid an ungodly sum of money in terms of dollars per pound of meat... though the experience was 100% worth it to me).

The pronghorn was good as well - no complaints at all.

Prior to that, I shot a pronghorn fawn right off the road. I had the whole thing quartered and in the cooler pretty quickly. That was far and away the best big game animal I've ever eaten. Absolutely outstanding.

·
Administrator
21,518 Posts
Cool thread. Through the years we ran these tests at the Goober Estate. Usually chops or round steak, all prepared and cooked the same way. Antelope usually wins!

Sheep is really good but only had it in a test once. Cougar is good but usually drier than the other varieties. Ostrich came in high if not first one time.

I've done the same thing with deep fat fried fish with some very interesting results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sunday’s tend to be days to try new recipes and grill at our house. Tonight we had a taste test between antelope, caribou, and elk. All steaks were prepared the same way (i.e. wet aged, seasoned, doneness). Each person was given a slice of each steak on a plate and couldn’t vote until all the pieces of meat were gone off their plate.

Antelope took the top honor, followed by caribou, and then elk.

My wife swore up and down that she wouldn’t have voted for antelope as being the best, if she would’ve known! 😂

I really wish I had some bison, moose, and deer to throw into the fray.

For those of you who have tasted wild sheep, is it really the best? I’ve heard people rave about how good the meat is, but I wonder if their raving is rightly backed by the taste or just backed by the rareness of the sheep hunting experience.
I vote for sheep anytime.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm surprised elk came in last!
Yeah, me too! We eat quite a bit of elk around our place, so maybe the kids are beginning to tire of it. I guess I'll have to make a sacrifice and go get more antelope and caribou . . . you know . . . for the kids . . . ;)

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
A beef cow is running $2500-3200 right now... I think for that money we'll run to SD and do a canned bison shoot. A freezer of bison sounds nice.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
A beef cow is running $2500-3200 right now... I think for that money we'll run to SD and do a canned bison shoot. A freezer of bison sounds nice.

-DallanC
Instead of shooting a bison on a canned hunt can you just get them to take it to the slaughter house so that you don't waste any meat?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Last weekend I put some of my antelope loin steaks on the smoker till they were 135-140 degrees inside. Talk about melt in your mouth goodness! The best game meat I've ever had.

·
Registered
28 Posts

-DallanC
You need to find a new source of beef amigo. Our steers are angus/simm cross and I've sold 33 this fall for $2200 each.
Buffalo have a sweeter taste to me. A good lope is fine eating. And I've had some the dog wouldn't eat. Elk is king at our place. And I enjoy bear too.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Co-worker just bought an Angus beef out of Idaho for $3200... sounded overpriced to me, but he was happy so I just let him be happy with it. They did deliver it from Idaho to Utah County all cut and wrapped, so maybe that was the extra cost.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Antelope are best, then moose burger, grain-lands whitetail, and elk. Mule deer is good, mtn goat has great flavor- just way too tough, and bighorn sheep are ok. I think many say sheep because so few get to eat it and it ends up being this club experience- similar to sheep hunting. That said, I bet Clarq's ewe would've been worth the try.

The worst game meat is a billy Auodad- hands down horrible. Although Goob could probably make it work.

As for beef- you can by a grass or grain fed 1100 lb heifer for $1,200 and pay $400-500 for the kill, cut, wrap. Feedlot finished beef is good- orchard/apple finished beef is excellent. I have an apple finished steer waiting for the freezer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife didn't grow up in a hunting family and is pretty picky about wild game so deer and bull elk usually get made into jerky and summer sausage but she will happily send me on a cow elk or antelope hunt. Moose was excellent and maybe even better than that were the whitetail and pigs we shot in Arkansas. It's hard to beat corn fed.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Taken care of the right way, they're all good.

Toss up between elk and antelope. Bighorn (sheep) is pretty good.
Mountain lion is quite tasty, considering it's a cat.
Bison, reminds of a range cow - good, but not jaw dropping.
Mule deer is so-so for me.
Whitetail, any day of the week over muley's.
Haven't had enough moose to give an honest opinion about it, but I thought is was good from what I tasted.
Really didn't care for caribou too much.
Ibex is good, very mild flavor actually.

The one that takes the cake is oryx. I know there aren't any of the last two in UT, but if anyone has $1,600 to burn on one of those tags (and you can draw), it's worth it. There was a truck with Utah plates on a recent oryx hunt I went on, so I know my friends from the Beehive state do make it down occasionally...

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I put in for it a couple times... $1600 is alot of cash. I just realized while Oryx are cool, there were other things I'd rather have / do for that much $$$. I'm glad to hear they taste good though.

-DallanC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts