Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Pretty darn nice! I just picked up a weatherby sa 8 20 gauge and was wondering if I need anything bigger than 3/4 oz in a 2 3/4 shell. Don't want to be changing pistons all the time.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Since I'm derailing Shaners thread and awesome accomplishment to much I'll start a new one.

Here is what the little bores can do when you do your part.

28 gauge goose shoot from a couple days ago.

Steel or heavy shot?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty darn nice! I just picked up a weatherby sa 8 20 gauge and was wondering if I need anything bigger than 3/4 oz in a 2 3/4 shell. Don't want to be changing pistons all the time.
Dunkem,

The key is knowing the guns/loads limits and your limits. If you can keep your shot to 30 to 35 yards and under that little sa08 will flatten any duck you encounter.

If the birds play Nice tomorrow I'll video what the little 28 with 5/8 oz of steel shot can do.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lost that was with a 7/8 oz load of hw13 4 shot. I moved to that load this year and any goose within 50 yards has hit the ground dead!

Still pounding the ducks with the 5/8 oz load of steel 4 shot. I keep my shots with it to 35 and under. I should of taken a pic of a bird last week but I nearly took its head off at about 15 yards with that load.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries.
I LOVE how you are hiding under some type of palm frond or something similiar?
Not sure what that plant is called. There are so many plants and trees I still have to learn the names of down here in the desert.

Nothing like killing waterfowl with cactus and Palm trees as you back drop lol.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
When I first took grandpa's model 11-48 hunting I shot a whole box of shells over dekes and didn't cut a feather...that full choke was so tight it was like shooting a rifle. Had it bored to modified and shot just fine with it...I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone shooting a box of shells (lead shot too) over dekes and not cutting a feather before...:grin:

Reactions: hamernhonkers

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Looked like you shot the second bird with that first shot. I've seen doubles with a 410 in the old days but seriously, a .410 or .28g are not proper large bird guns. You will over the years wound many more birds than you would have had you been shooting a larger, heavier load. Is that how you really want to treat your beloved honkers?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bp hammer has killed a lot geese with his little 28 ga and swans .Have you ever heard of TSS its almost twice the weight of lead 7 1/2shot is very deadly at 60 yards out of a 28 ga .

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I smell popcorn popping :sunglasses:

Reactions: hamernhonkers

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looked like you shot the second bird with that first shot. I've seen doubles with a 410 in the old days but seriously, a .410 or .28g are not proper large bird guns. You will over the years wound many more birds than you would have had you been shooting a larger, heavier load. Is that how you really want to treat your beloved honkers?
Huh I guess I really missed that first bird then and center punched that second bird back??? Or maybe the angle just made it look that way;-)

Looks like he sure got hit hard with a broken wing, pellet to the head, broken leg, and at least 5 plus in the body -O,-

Yes I totally wiffed on the second shot:mrgreen: and the third shot..........that bird really got centered.

BP its clear you are not up on high density shot types so a quick lesson for everyone. I am really not picking on you here but and I am just messing with you in the above part:grin:

10 bore with a 1 1/2 oz load of BBB steel shot at 1500 fps. The ultimate goose load for 40 yards plus on big geese.

91 pellets in the load, 2.25" of penetration to 53 yards, 262 lbs energy density.

28 gauge with 7/8 oz of HW13 4 shot at 1350 fps.

100 pellets in the load, 2.25" of penetration to 66 yards, 233 lbs of energy density and hold a pattern out to range far better then steel could ever dream of......

Just have to put the pattern on them and they will come down;-)

With high density shot the little 20, 28 and 410 are just as effective or more effective then steel out of even the big 10 on honkers. BP if it wasn't I wouldn't be shooting it at my favorite bird. In fact I am making sure I am using a more effective load then I ever have even compared to the good old lead shot you and I got to shoot years ago:shock:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I smell popcorn popping :sunglasses:
Na no need for that. Some people just haven't learned what high density shot can do and until they see it first hand....................well they just won't believe it.

It's ok though, I along with many others will continue to stone ducks and geese with the little bores and the big bore shooters will continue to think that all that wonderful recoil from big heavy, fast loads of steel out of a 3 1/2" shell will help them kill more birds;-)

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Hey now that was 2 with a pump gun on a right to left cross at 35 to 40 yards.
I personally do way better on the right-to-left shots than the left-to-right (I'm a right-handed shooter). Am I in the minority? Or are you just making excuses? ;-)

Kidding, of course. Two for three on geese needs no excuses. Nice job.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts