Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
Wow.
What is the metal band?
That's what we used to use to tag them with.

Once it was put on it was near impossible to take off without cutting it.

A lot of those big old bruisers were shot during the late hunts that they used to have. I remember hunts running into December with a lot of them still going on during Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
416 Posts
One of those bucks that if I saw them while hunting I would probably pee my pants before getting a shot off... which I'd probably miss

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Can you say the GOOD OL DAYS..Wish I could figure out how to post pictures, I. have a couple of old antler mounts.Just think old metal antler tags, which were horrible, guys would take em apart and use em over and over took the DWR long time after people were Bitc--- to change em. Lots of public land Monster running around back in the day..No LE units. Chalk Creek tag $5.00 MAN have times changed, For The Better? Thats for you the hunter to figure out. Archery hunt first year I hunted less than 9,000 hunters State wide. Now the Rifle Hunt>> That was A ZOO So I quit with a Gun after 5 years of Drunken Insanity. Put Hey. To each his own.

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
Quite often back when we were using the metal tags you didn't need to reuse them you could shoot multiple deer off of the one tag. I remember that on Elk Ridge that you could shoot 5-7 deer on that one tag.

But then that is a different subject.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Critter. Elk Ridge was a slaughter house, When I seen deer legs and and hides stacked 4 feet high. and seen the same East of Beaver, Made me want to Puke.. At the time the over all population of Utah was kinda small.. one person could not consume all that meat, Could be wrong,but didn't Non Residents get like 5 Deer per Tag holder? Rifle Season was NUTS.

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
I really don't remember just what the tag numbers were or the requirements on resident and non resident but I did see the pictures coming off of Elk Ridge and other areas with pickup truck beds full of deer. Rifle season was nuts when I first started hunting in the 60's, it was a sea of red, this was before hunter orange was mandatory. People think that there were more deer at that time but I think that the poor deer didn't have a chance, there were so many hunters out they had to run to save themselves and would just run into another group of hunters.

A few observations that you don't see now on the hunts:

HWY 6 up Spanish Fork Canyon and HWY 40 up Daniels from about 4pm until way after dark was bumper to bumper with hunters headed up into the hills.
Soldier Summit went from a population of 5 to well over 1000 if the weather was bad and all the campers and trailers were parked just off of the pavement.
Every flat spot going up the canyons had a dozen vehicles parked at them and then next day the game poles held 5 or 6 deer.

Women were the best shots and hunters. It was proven through the check stations in Spanish Fork Canyon and Daniels that the vast majority of successful hunters on the opening weekend were women. Their men folk never did fill their tags on the opening.

These are just a few of the things that I observer

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ya, there was a lot on veryyyy longgggggg shots the ladies made in those days. Clear from town.........Grandpa + Grandma were dang good shots as well.
Sad to say I was in a couple of camps that on Sunday nite we would start counting up deer and tags, and have to send someone to town to get more tag holders.
That was as recent as the early and mid 80's.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Critter. You are on the money. Most of the Red Clad Crew back then was crazy, and the reason for so many female hunters got checked with their deer first? their Husbands were busy using up their tags first..Glad them days are gone..

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
2full, I gave up a 20 year freindship with my best bud back then for exact reason you are talking about, We all but went the blows. his kill crazy attitude I could not be a part of. if I told you what he did.. folks would ask why didn't you turn him in.maybe I did> Maybe I didn't> > I know. I'v been hunting with a bow 4 ever, Gave up the Gun,

·
Administrator
21,407 Posts
Fantastic buck, awesome trophy room, plus a ptarmigan for street-cred points from Goob.
I think it's a Rock Ptarmigan, not Utah's White-tailed Ptarmigan. :)

Reactions: AF CYN

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I know what you mean Old Fudd. I haven't hunted deer with a rifle since they made us pick a hunt.
Haven't been around or seen that type of hunting going on, for a long time now.
No doubt that is why we see a lot more, and bigger bucks these days. They used to sell a bunch more tags back then, but only 1/3 to 1/2 were actually hunting in a lot of areas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts