Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I drew the Henry early bison tag, either sex.
All my plans have unraveled. I have 3 people that can go. And, the one that knows and hunts the area had a family member draw the same hunt time frame. None of us know the area, or have even hunted it.
I am sitting here with my tag trying to talk myself out of turning it back in.
Seems like this was doomed from the start. All my leads have fizzled out on guides.
I can pay some to a guide, but, not a whole bunch.

Guess I just wanted to vent frustration for a minute.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Keep you head up. I cant help you as I have never hunting the henry's. Use the search and there should be some threads on this hunt. With this being an OIL tag some one on there will help.
Good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not to sound non-sympathetic, but that is why it is called "hunting" and not "killing". Scouting, planning, dreaming, anticipation, etc. is part of the "charm" of the hunt. Enjoy the entire experience by doing the research and scouting. It is much more satisfying when it is all you that earns the trophy due to your diligence and work, not someone else's.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
No way would I turn it in. There is a ton of info on this forum about that hunt. Bison can and will move so muh in a given day that they can and are just about everywhere down there. All of the hunters that are after them will be more than willing to help you if they spot them and they will ask the same from you. Goofy Elk gave me a ton of help as did others. It all on here if you do a search

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ya, I know all about the "hunting" and not "killing". Have always done my hunts on draw tags myself. LE archery elk, LE archery speed goat, Paunsy muzzle deer. Have done quite well and have some great memories.
Had a couple of guys with some experiance that wanted to go. But all has changed.
Everything that could go wrong has....
My office manager was moving out of state Nov 1. Was going to search and find a replacement in Sept, and train in Oct. Easy deal.
While I was bow hunting, she announced she was leaving Sept 1. So I have had to scramble and get it all going. Made it so I have not been able to go over scouting as planned.
Have done some research, and read some other threads, etc.
There has been some very helpful and nice people offer advice for sure.

Sometimes a plan comes together, and sometimes it does not.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bottom line, if you don't feel optimistic and excited about going down there, you should probably turn it in. I'm sure you would grant some lucky hunter an early Christmas by turning it in. I've been on both sides of the tag turn in. Definitely a hard choice but if it doesn't feel tight, turn it in.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only had 14 points. Never dreamed I would get it this year. In fact, I thought I had only put in for a point.

Bowhunter: What your saying is exactly right. I hate to turn it in, but yet I want to be able to go feeling like I'm ready and able to have a good hunt.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
14 isn't even close to max points right? I would do everything in my power to make it happen while you have the tag in hand and start putting in for a different OIL species. I think you should be able to get plenty of good intel and hopefully make it happen. I'm jealous. I wish I was in your position with a buff tag in hand. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Find a guide! That's a hunt of a lifetime, I would even go for it and I haven't hunted big game in years.:O||:

Reactions: wyogoob and AJ13

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
what are hunt dates? there is a good chance that I would be willing to go down and help. The bitter cold that I hunted in has me a bit asceared though.:)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The hunt runs from Oct 31 - Nov 12th.
I will give high top a call.

With my luck on this so far, The winter will hit cold and early. :grin:
I have always put in for the early because I know the later one can get some ugly weather.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Im with all the people saying go for it! If you turn the tag back in you most likely won't draw again until you are a max point holder and how many years will that be? Go hunt!

·
Registered
507 Posts
You don't need to hire an outfitter. Take the map that they sent you, and your 3 helpers and look for the following places.

Airplane springs
Coyote Benches
McMillan springs
Penel pass
The horn

And if all else fails cave flat.

There is also a herd that hangs out on the north end of Mt Ellen. Get up high and look low. Don't be surprised if you see them at 10,000ft. The bulls will often be by themselves.

Glass, glass, and glass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hunted there last year...

Hunted there last year and it was awesome!!!
5 days of no bison then found some...got a nice bull.
Saw world class trophy deer EVERY DAY!
Scenery is stunning! Man, I'd not pass it up for anything
less than an immediate family member's death! Not kidding!
PM me if you want specific advice. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts