Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I need some advice. I am pricing out boat options, and wanted some feedback. I don't really have room at my house for a proper Jon boat, so I have been looking at other options. The two I have been looking at are the stealth 2000 and a canoe of some sort. I want to be able to take 2 people and my dog in it.

I like the stability of the stealth, as I am not very comfortable with boats, but I don't know if it will be big enough.

Canoes concern me a little in the stability department. Are they stable enough for duck hunting around here? I have heard good things about the golden hawk canoes, but are they worth the extra money over a regular square stern canoe? It seems like normal squat stern canoes normally go for about 300 on ksl.

I want a boat I can paddle in the motor less areas, but I do plan to mount a mud motor on it eventually, as well as a trolling motor for fishing. I would like to get a trailer eventually , but being able to put in the back of my truck would be a really big plus.

I like to get away from people when I hunt, and being able to jump dikes and run in shallow water appeals to me.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
IMO a canoe would be much better for what you are wanting to do. The Coleman scanoes are good too. fish-n-fool is the guy to talk to about this, he runs a surface drive on his scanoe. I'm sure a canoe would be much easier to paddle over a stealth and you can haul more gear, people and dog. The 14' has a 38" beam and around 750 lb. load capacity. I think the longer ones are even wider. Oh and they only weigh like 87 pounds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO a canoe would be much better for what you are wanting to do. The Coleman scanoes are good too. fish-n-fool is the guy to talk to about this, he runs a surface drive on his scanoe. I'm sure a canoe would be much easier to paddle over a stealth and you can haul more gear, people and dog. The 14' has a 38" beam and around 750 lb. load capacity. I think the longer ones are even wider. Oh and they only weigh like 87 pounds.
How stable are they though? Would the dog be able to clime back in, or me for that matter? Any thoughts on polyethylene vs fiberglass vs aluminum?

Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I am pretty new to boats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts