Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to get some ideas where to put a dog on my setup . I have 3 ideas, the first is to have the dog on a platform outside the boat. 2nd choice on the bow of the boat. Third choice is to cut a hole out of the side of the blind and keep her by my side. Any feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My old blind was like that. What I did was not attach the grass on the bottom of one panel on the front. Then if I had the dog I just pulled it up and used it for top cover for the dog and he had a place to get in and out easy. He would just sit up on the bow. And if it was cold he could come down by me and the heater

·
Registered
149 Posts
I cut holes in mine and zipped tied it up coot would just hang his head out and watch for death from above .I have seen them on the outside of the boat it would be ok if your dog didn't move around to much when the birds are working.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I might cut out and zip tie a hole in the blind. My dog does not know hand signals. But she will bring back anything if she sees what direction it fell. I'm sure she could find it blindly but I don't want to burn that time with searching. Any ideas on how log it takes to teach blind retrieving?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Depends on the dog and what you consider a blind. Most hunting dogs can get away with a pretty rough blind but usually 3 months for most of my dogs with daily work gets them pretty proficient. If your talking poison bird blinds and other sometimes pointless master level work it's a never ending process.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
My dog is a yellow Lab and the 3 ducks that came in this morning didn't care or didn't notice him. 3 shots, 3 ducks. I don't use a boat blind, I had one once and hated the thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts