Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to upgrade the boat for next season currently have a 1436 I am looking at a 1448 or a 1542 don't want to go to 16 I go a few places the smaller is a bit easier. Is the 1448 worth the extra 1000 bucks a 1542 brand new is 1200 and the cheapest 1448 I have found is 2200. I have a 20hp mud buddy longtail I will run on it and will eventually upgrade to a 25 or bigger as well. Experience with either would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I had a 1436 and upgraded to a 1448 alumacraft and i love it! balances very well. very stable. If you get that boat and I were you I'd put a 23hp on it and you would rock the marsh

And by the way. I prefer alumacraft over the tracker. A much better and stronger boat. no offense to the guys with trackers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an alumacraft right now and have loved it and was having a really thought time talking myself out of buying another. My only trouble now is my backend sits so low with the motor on back I drag through the shallow stuff pretty good so I am hoping it helps. I also think we go to similar places out at FB I swear I see you every time I go out just about. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I can get my 1648 any place you can take a 1448.
If you are planning on keeping the 20 HP motor then a 1542 may be a better choice, but if you think you will be getting a bigger motor then go with a 1448.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am going to upgrade the boat for next season currently have a 1436 I am looking at a 1448 or a 1542 don't want to go to 16 I go a few places the smaller is a bit easier. Is the 1448 worth the extra 1000 bucks a 1542 brand new is 1200 and the cheapest 1448 I have found is 2200. I have a 20hp mud buddy longtail I will run on it and will eventually upgrade to a 25 or bigger as well. Experience with either would be appreciated
What kind of condition is the 1436 in? I'll be buying one with some tax money in a couple of months.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I had a 1436 and upgraded to a 1448 alumacraft and i love it! balances very well. very stable. If you get that boat and I were you I'd put a 23hp on it and you would rock the marsh

And by the way. I prefer alumacraft over the tracker. A much better and stronger boat. no offense to the guys with trackers.
Alumacraft's are one tough boats. Grandpa had a marina when I was growing up and we had about 30 alumacrafts we would rent out. Never had to ditch one ever. I put mine through hell and back then crashed it into a telephone pole....ok long story, hey I was 18 and indestructible. Even was able to fix that crashed boat and put it back in service.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Alumacraft's are one tough boats. Grandpa had a marina when I was growing up and we had about 30 alumacrafts we would rent out. Never had to ditch one ever. I put mine through hell and back then crashed it into a telephone pole....ok long story, hey I was 18 and indestructible. Even was able to fix that crashed boat and put it back in service.
What's a telephone pole doing in the middle of a bayou?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
What's a telephone pole doing in the middle of a bayou?
Well the boat shed across the bayou from our boat shed was where the sheriff kept their rescue boat. One of the corner posts of the boat shed was a telephone pole. The bayou was about 20 feet wide at that point. Water was low, I did something stupid and hit it going between 20-25 mph. Flew from the rear of the boat to the very front, luckily stopped about a foot short of head butting the telephone pole. It's complicated.... ;-)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an alumacraft 1648 with a 23hp longtail and I've gotten to all the holes I used to trudge to. Your 20 hp on an a 1648 with pods would get you anywhere you want to go. I run a MV and have run in as little as 6" of water and will put pods on for next year. It does sit low in the rear, when I get in shallow. I throw all my weight to the front to even out load.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of condition is the 1436 in? I'll be buying one with some tax money in a couple of months.
It's in good shape it's an 08 doesn't leak has a light bar mounted on front

I have an alumacraft 1648 with a 23hp longtail and I've gotten to all the holes I used to trudge to. Your 20 hp on an a 1648 with pods would get you anywhere you want to go. I run a MV and have run in as little as 6" of water and will put pods on for next year. It does sit low in the rear, when I get in shallow. I throw all my weight to the front to even out load.
Main reason I don't want to go to big is weight I run at pintail flats a few times a year and anyone who has been there knows why the lighter the better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My boat is riveted 310 lbs and I have run pint sail flats twice this year. I had to get out and push at the second sand bar for about ten yards but didn't have a problem with the third. I bought my boat after some advice on this forum from quite a few people and I'm glad I went with the 1648 or I think I would be wanting a bigger boat for next year.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My boat is riveted 310 lbs and I have run pint sail flats twice this year. I had to get out and push at the second sand bar for about ten yards but didn't have a problem with the third. I bought my boat after some advice on this forum from quite a few people and I'm glad I went with the 1648 or I think I would be wanting a bigger boat for next year.
I may have to consider it how muc gear do you run with?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 23hp is 175lbs. This is why I'm getting pods for next year. Blind grass and frame is 100 lbs. 3 to 4 dozen decoys, 6 gallons of gas, safety equipment , gun/shells and me . My weight is 250 with gear on and when I have a buddy with me add another 250 lbs. the boat capacity is four people and cargo weight of just over 1000 lbs. 1050 I think is the max. The hull holds up good in the ice as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright next thing I talked to chuck at widowmaker and went over a monopod on the back instead of two singles I'm not looking for a big boat as a be all end all just more flotation for a heavy motor main reason for the 1448 or 1542 has anyone ridden or driven a boat with a monopod on it?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
my 18hp surface drive is 220lbs, I don't have pods and I run fabulously. you can see its a little heavier in the back but, I get up on plain fast and top out at 20-21 with me and my gear. this is on my 1448

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my 18hp surface drive is 220lbs, I don't have pods and I run fabulously. you can see its a little heavier in the back but, I get up on plain fast and top out at 20-21 with me and my gear. this is on my 1448
That is why I was thinking the 1448 where did you buy yours from? Right now with me and my dog upfront I can 19-20 but I sit low in the back pretty far

1 - 20 of 28 Posts