Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put in for a limited entry deer hunt but it wont let me put in for a limited entry elk hunt and where would I put in for a bonus point? I have read the guide but still are having trouble please help me.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can only put in for one limited entry species and one once and a life time species per application / year. So basically you need to choose either deer or elk and go with it for the next 20 years until you have enough points to draw a good unit.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Not really can you imagine how much more clogged the draw pool would be if everyone could put in multiple species. It would take 50 years to draw a l.e tag
Dont have to imagine, ask a NR... NR's get to put in for all species so its all super clogged. But they get a big advantage if they ever move to Utah... imagine someone running up 20 points for all OIL species then moving here. Draw one, move to the next and start with 20pts. Huge potential advantage over residents.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Dont have to imagine, ask a NR... NR's get to put in for all species so its all super clogged. But they get a big advantage if they ever move to Utah... imagine someone running up 20 points for all OIL species then moving here. Draw one, move to the next and start with 20pts. Huge potential advantage over residents.

-DallanC
^^^TRUTH^^^

Just look at the draw odds reports and you can see the year Utah started allowing NR to apply for all species. If you got into the game after that year, you can pretty much kiss any chance of getting into the bonus pool goodbye. AND it really sucks for the top point holders on hunts where there is no bonus pool cause their 20 points get so watered down by the 2000 applicants with 1-5 points.

I do apply for all the species that I would like to hunt just in case I ever move back to Utah. It's not likely though so y'all just enjoy the conservation my application money is paying for.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Not really can you imagine how much more clogged the draw pool would be if everyone could put in multiple species. It would take 50 years to draw a l.e tag
Something like this will have to happen if they decide to make 1 deer pool. I can't fathom how they wouldn't allow a guy to put in for a LE elk or pronghorn tag because he wants to draw a boxelder deer tag.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Something like this will have to happen if they decide to make 1 deer pool. I can't fathom how they wouldn't allow a guy to put in for a LE elk or pronghorn tag because he wants to draw a boxelder deer tag.
Box elder is not a limited entry unit. You can still put in for general season all you want. You just can't put in for two limited entry species.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Box elder is not a limited entry unit. You can still put in for general season all you want. You just can't put in for two limited entry species.
There is talk of eliminating the general season. Which would mean either forcing people to choose a single deer/elk/antelope, or allowing people to apply for both LE deer/LE Antelope and LE elk at the same time. Such talk IMO is foolishness... plus they still have to deal with the 4000 some odd lifetime deer license holders.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm all for limiting it even more and only allowing a person to get one buck/bull tag per year period. Elk guys can put in for LE and get an any bull for second choice. Deer guys can put in for LE with General deer to fall back on. LE antelope tags would become very easy to draw for those willing to sacrifice all to hunt them.

I haven't done the math but I'd be willing to bet that there would be plenty of species specific tags for everyone to get one when you take the elk guys out of the deer pool and vice versa.

Any left over tags could be put into a pool and distributed by random drawing......with a small application fee of course.--------SS

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I personally would like to see them get rid of the 10$ application fee. And go back to the pay upfront system it would eliminate that granny that is holding me up from drawing my elk tag. And only do it only for limited entry and oil applications so the new youth hunters can still apply for a basic hunt for 10$. The guys that draw dork over the cash anyways so all it is is a refund if you don't draw.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
In the perfect world (mine of course) there would be one point for Elk/Deer/Antelope and one point for OIL. 1st choice use/lose points, 2nd+ choices don't use/lose points. EDIT- Just to clarify-- my idea above referred to le elk/le deer/antelope and OIL.

I think a major hesitation for changing the deer point system is the loss of app fees. Right now for every they collect $10 for LE, $10 for Gen and $10 for DH-- for every application. 60,000 LE, 135,000 Gen and 3,000 DH- that is $2 million in app fees. Make one deer point system only and they lose around $600,000 dollars.

The Wildlife Board wouldn't close the loop hole because it would have cost $15,000 (or less than $3 per person who is using the loophole).

----

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I agree Pack,

I'm surprised they don't just close the loophole and double the application fees to make up the difference. After the wailing and nashing of teeth subsided, people would still stand in line in the snow with no coat to spend $20.00 to apply for a deer tag. Heck, I'd give them $40.00 if they'd put my name in twice.--------SS

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
When I think about my philosophy on hunting, going to a single point system and having to choose your species between elk and deer every year might be the single worst idea I've ever heard. Why on earth would a person advocate limiting our ability to hunt both elk and deer? I guess I just like hunting and I'm the crazy one.

I don't expect to draw premium tags regularly for either species, let alone both species. But the day I'm told I can't get a general deer tag and OTC elk tag in the same year if I choose will be a dark, sad, pathetic day for the state of hunting in Utah.

·
1,666 Posts
When I think about my philosophy on hunting, going to a single point system and having to choose your species between elk and deer every year might be the single worst idea I've ever heard. Why on earth would a person advocate limiting our ability to hunt both elk and deer? I guess I just like hunting and I'm the crazy one.

I don't expect to draw premium tags regularly for either species, let alone both species. But the day I'm told I can't get a general deer tag and OTC elk tag in the same year if I choose will be a dark, sad, pathetic day for the state of hunting in Utah.
In Idaho you have to choose Deer, Elk, Moose, Sheep, Goat, or Pronghorn and they are not hurting for opportunity. Though, they have a lot more opportunity OTC. It works well in Idaho. Though, every year they are looking at adding a points system, auctioning tags, etc because of the money the states around them are getting.

It's not the end of the world. Utah would just have to adjust for opportunity, but given the pursuit of B&C it is not likely. People pay for quality in Utah and not Opportunity.

The issue with Utah is that there are just not enough tags to do around. Changing or tweaking the system isn't going to fix that. Utah either needs to get more animals or get less people. Maybe the air (PM 2.5) along the front could help with the latter. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Muscle, are you talking controlled tags, or general OTC? I not asking to be able to apply for both deer and elk LE in Utah. I'm talking OTC and general tags.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts