Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my brother drew a book cliffs archery deer tag. We took our first trip out there this past weekend. Came over seep ridge and went west toward winter ridge and out to steer ridge. Saw a lot of does, only 2 bucks and a mess of elk. Should we be looking elsewhere or will the bucks show up in that general area? We did just go out there for the day and all of our looking was in the middle of the day. Caution, those roads get nasty when wet.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I don't know the Books, but I wouldn't expect to see many animals period in the middle of the day unless I just bumped into them. Deer especially. Sounds like you learned something about the wet roads though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ii have been down there on elk hunts and it sounds like you are in the right direction for deer. We saw lots all over there but yeah, not many in the middle of the day. Good luck, that will be a fun hunt.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You are in the right place!!

With the heat the way it is, you will not see many bucks in the middle of the day. The reason you are seeing does is they come out to feed later because they are taking care of their fawns in the morning and once they lay them down for a while they will get up and feed.

In June and July you need to be where you want at daylight and dusk to see what bucks are in the area. The Book Cliffs is High Desert and it get pretty warm out there in the summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts