Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been scouting the Books for my Archery Elk hunt and have not settled on a specific area. I want to check out some of the canyons that feed into Bitter Creek but it looks like there are Tribal lands in Bitter Creek. Are the roads blocked or is a permit required to access that area? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
There are small sections of Tribal lands but not enough to worry about. If it is the section that I think you are talking about there is a sign as you enter it but no sign as you leave.

Get yourself a good map or go to the divisions web page and look at the maps that they have of the unit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Last summer and fall as I drove my atv down Dick's Canyon, and into Bittercreek, I never had any indication I was travelling internationally. I don't think I traveled as far north as Augusi Canyon though. I honestly don't think you will have an issue passing through, but I certainly wouldn't stop to hunt on that land. Not that the elk come down there very often anyway.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tribal Ground

When I was a kid my dad gave me the advice of "You don't ever need to go on Tribal Land, its not worth it".

You will never win a lawsuit if for any reason someone wants to make an issue.

There is plenty of good elk ground in the Book Cliffs that you don't need to push the issue.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Haven't spent a lot of time in that area of the unit. As has been said if in question there is so much area down there that holds good amounts of elk I wouldn't push it. Good luck that is an amazing area.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
The area in question isn't that large and I have had no problems going through it for the last 20 or so years. At one time there was a cable across the road when you went into the private but it is my understanding that the property was purchased and then given to the state. But I could be wrong.

I looked at the boundary map for the elk unit and it doesn't show the Tribal or private in the canyon but the deer hunt boundary map does.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/public/details_boundary.php?boundary_id=7

1 - 6 of 6 Posts