Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that some of you might be able to let me know what to expect both for amount of elk to expect spotting per day, and weather wise on the late rifle bull hunt in the BC. I have been mainly a spot and stalk bow hunter for deer for the most part for the past 20+ years so I am used to spending a lot of time glassing. I have been waiting to draw this tag for a long time and am pretty excited! My son will be able to come with me as he just got out of 4 years in the Marines, so I want this to be a really great experience for us. I am not a huge trophy hunter(But I will try for a big one if I see one!), just like to hunt! I will be happy with a mature bull. I plan on getting there several days early to better learn the roads etc. I have been studying the maps and Google earth since I found out I got drawn, and have had some much appreciated info from some on this site and others already. Any photos of the terrain, or hunts that any of you may have had in the past would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,661 Posts
The first question is have you ever been out to the Books, it sounds like you haven't.

The main ridge runs east to west or west to east depending on where you are looking at them. Then ridges run to the north mainly. There are ridges that head to the south also but that is some real tough country and on the south east they lead into the roadless area.

There are elk all over the place, all you need to do is to pull out onto a road off of the main road on top and start glassing and you will find them. There is also water all over the place down in the bottom of the canyons to the north with great streams in a few of them, enough that there are actually fish in them. But if I remember right they are all closed to fishing.

Come November the elk may be off of the top and down into the cedars which could make it interesting in trying to find them. Weather wise you can expect anything in November from 80 degrees to -20 out there, you just never know. Snow shouldn't be much of a problem but they do get snow and it can get deep in a hurry. I would suggest a good set of chains for your vehicle as a just in case.

I shot a 6x7 bull out there in 2001 on the west end of the unit just under Ten Mile Knoll. But that was during the September hunt. A year later we shot another bull in Chepeta Canyon just off of Mc Cook Ridge, but that was also in September.

I'll be headed out there Sunday for the start of my Le muzzle loader deer season and hope to see lots of elk and deer but we will see come the hunt. I hunted the area for years before the closed it down in 96 and this is the first time that I have had the chance to get back out there after deer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Critter, I have not been in the unit yet, I have hunted with my Brother in the 9 mile anthro a few years ago, but that was in the early hunt. I am going to go several days early so I will get some time to scout, just not as much as I would like if work would have been slow I was planning on going once in Oct, it may still happen but we are slammed right now and I need to get these jobs done so I can have the entire season and the days before. really excited for it to get here! If they are down lower in the Cedars can you set up and glass from cross canyon, or is too flat for that? Good luck to you!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The BC late elk can be tricky because the elk CAN BE ANYWERE!

And it's A VERY LARGE UNIT!

That said, I'd start in the higher canyons were you can glass....Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: devobrodie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Goofy Elk, I like the sounds of that, I was hoping that would be a good tactic to use, I was really hoping to get there a month before for a scouting trip and still may, but work has never been as busy as now for the past 9 years, still going to try and I will get there a few days early for sure, hope you have a great year your self!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You will see some very large groups of cows (100-200), don't get too hung up on them. The better bulls will have left them by then, and many of them will be bachelored up again. Unless there is extreme snow, there will be plenty of elk on top. Many or most of the bigger bulls will have broken antlers, it is very tough to find a big clean bull on that hunt.

A month before the hunt, I would expect the bulls and cows to be together still. So your scouting trip should be more about learning the roads and country. I would recommend going out 3-4 days early if possible for a better idea of where the bulls are and what the quality is.

With that said, it is a fun hunt and the country is amazing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts