Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the email that I drew a Book Cliffs Muzz tag with 2 points. I drew it last in 2018. I know the area is struggling with the drought and other conditions. Did anyone hunt down there last year? Who else on here has a tag this year? I will make at least 2 trips down there this summer.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My dad hunted the rifle hunt in 2020 and I hunted the rifle hunt last year. In my opinion, the muzzy tag is the best option on the Book Cliffs.

Reactions: CROC

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am interested in how you guys did down there. I am also looking for folks who drew and are interested in heading down for a scouting trip or two in the coming months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the archery tag and my friend had the muzzy tag last year. It was incredibly dry and very little feed/water. We both ended up with solid bucks but they were hard to come by. With the spring moisture we've had it should be a better year for antler growth.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the archery tag and my friend had the muzzy tag last year. It was incredibly dry and very little feed/water. We both ended up with solid bucks but they were hard to come by. With the spring moisture we've had it should be a better year for antler growth.

I will PM you.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am interested in how you guys did down there. I am also looking for folks who drew and are interested in heading down for a scouting trip or two in the coming months.
We killed decent bucks for the unit, the best bucks we saw while we were hunting. The rifle hunt is completely different than the muzzy and archery hunts.

Have you considered which trailhead you will go in or where you would like to hunt?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My son drew that tag last year. We sneaked around on foot off the divide road, PR Springs/Railroad area, mostly up on top. He shot a really nice, heavy 27" 3x3 on the third morning. In years past, that would have been a solid buck but nothing to get too excited about, however it was by far the biggest buck we saw in the three days of hunting and two days pre-hunt scouting. Still good bucks there but the numbers are definitely way down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts