Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[This years hunt on the Books proved to be pretty tough. All ended well however as we were able to find these two bruisers

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Those are really nice bucks for the book cliffs.

What’s even as impressive as the deer is every one in the photo has their orange on. Wow I can’t say how many times I have seen a picture of a deer taken with a rifle this year and know body is wearing their orange in the photo.

Nice job

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Those are some good looking hogs you go there. BUt be careful that one on the right looks like he only has 1-eye. You might get polled to death on where you shot him. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Great looking bucks guys!!! The Book Cliffs hold a special place in my heart and I love to see pictures from successful hunts from that area. Those boys are big for the Books, too so an even bigger congratulations.

·
Registered
363 Posts
swbuckmaster said:
Those are really nice bucks for the book cliffs.

What's even as impressive as the deer is every one in the photo has their orange on. Wow I can't say how many times I have seen a picture of a deer taken with a rifle this year and know body is wearing their orange in the photo.

Nice job
Those are nice bucks!! Good Job!!

But who cares if you have orange on in the photo??? :? :? :? As long as you have it on while hunting who relaly cares if you have it on in the picture you take?? I dont understand all the crap that goes on when you take a picture without orange!!! :shock:

I say......if you want to take a picture with no orange.......the go right ahead!!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Congrats on a couple of nice mulies, even with that UGLY orange in the picture. :mrgreen:

PRO

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
J-bass Said.........."Those boys are big for the Books, too so an even bigger congratulations."

Wait a second.....I thought the books held bigger bucks than that! Some of the biggest deer I've ever seen in my life were in the Book Cliffs.......I haven't been out there for a while but I thought it held bigger deer than that....anybody?

By the way....they are really good looking buckies....good job guys!

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Congrats! Those are some nice bucks there.

Where are the bookcliffs did you get 'em? Mind sharing the general area?

sawsman

·
Registered
348 Posts
UZ-A-BOW said:
J-bass Said.........."Those boys are big for the Books, too so an even bigger congratulations."

Wait a second.....I thought the books held bigger bucks than that! Some of the biggest deer I've ever seen in my life were in the Book Cliffs.......I haven't been out there for a while but I thought it held bigger deer than that....anybody?

By the way....they are really good looking buckies....good job guys!
There certainly are big deer in the Books, but most guys settle for much smaller four points than that. Don't believe me? Go to Monster Muley's and check out what usually comes off that area. Plus, swbuckmaster said "Those are really nice bucks for the book cliffs", so apparently I'm not the only one. The Books take a lot of patience because you'll see a lot of deer, but most will be around 24". If you hold out, you can get some nice ones, like the two that were posted.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Those are really nice deer......I'm just saying that I've seen some real bruisers in the Book Cliffs and it is sad that people draw that area and don't hold out for the monsters.....not that those two aren't monsters........

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
The book cliffs are not managed for monsters. The deer shown earlier up are very good deer for the books this year. I did see a 190" buck this year but it was on the utah/colorado border. You could also go home empty handed in this unit if you are looking for a deer larger than the ones posted.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Thanks UZ-A-BOW, I know where the general area is. What I meant to ask him was where IN the Bookcliffs was he....? Roadless, McCooks, ect.? The area is large and I've hunted it a couple of times.....Just curious as to where these two were taken.

The size of the unit is huge! There's gotta be some bucks in it that would score +200. With so many bucks in the 24-25" the odds are there are alot of them pushing 28-30" as well.

sawsman

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
There very well maybe a few 200" bucks in the BC, but a 200" buck is rare and hard to find, even on the Henries. 200" bucks are like 400" bulls, lots of people make claims of seeing them on a regular basis, but in reality they are few and far between. Passing up a 175 class buck on the BC is a good way to go home with tag not punched, but that is likely the only way to find a 200" buck. Very few hunters can/should pass a 180 class buck up, regardless of where they are at, IMHO.

PRO

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
I agree Pro. I personally would not pass up a 175 class buck.

Some of them remote, deep, dark canyons in the Books have gotta hold some monsters though!

sawsman

1 - 20 of 21 Posts