Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a few of you have put in for the Bookcliffs Roadless Unit and we are headed up that way this coming weekend for a 4 day ride. We have never been to the unit before.

Our intentions are to head to to Thompson and head north on the Thompson Canyon Road. We were thinking about trailering up to the Sego Canyon trialhead where the two canyon join I believe. We would then ride up into Sego and hit Willow Creek and do some fishing and proceed further North into the Unit.

Do any of you that have been up there have any suggestions? We have one LE tag that got hit and it is either my son's roadless LE archery tag or a friends La Sal rifle tag.

Any suggestions or requests to look at specific spots would be appreciated. We are just really headed up for a fun ride and see some new country but if any of you want a particular spot scouted we may be able to make it happen. There are going to be a lot of people going on this ride.

Reactions: 35whelen

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Personally, I like coming in from the north side at ten mile knol..
Diamond ridge into East willow.....

Now that the Seep ridge road is paved its much more trailer friendly than Sego!

It there is 'weather' Sego can be nasty with a hores trailer!

Reactions: JuddCT

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Goofy is right. The ride to ten mile knoll is a breeze with that new road and I've heard horror stories about Sego. If you go ten mile I can add our camping spots to that bear spotted map if you want. Let me know. I hope it is your boys tag! It will be an awesome hunt. Tell him to keep at least one good bull for the any weapon hunt.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've never gone in from the north. We have always come in from Thompson. The Sego Canyon road can definately get trecherous with weather, otherwise it's not too bad.

There are several routes into the roadless area from there. You can stay on the road and go north along Went Ridge and into West Willow. You can also take the trail into the top of Bogurt and decide where to go from there.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Never been down there, but with all this rain lately, I 'd stay away from iffy (read treacherous) roads!

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is such a large group going right now I don't know if we can change everybody's mind about it. Really appreciate the comments. I actually copied and pasted the warnings and sent them out to several people of the group. I remember before my bison hunt the warnings that I had received about the Henry's and every one of them were spot on.

Going to play it by ear here for a day or two. We are going for sure but if it looks like crap we will let the others go in from the south and we will head in from the north. I like the better safe than sorry method.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just got back from there. It's wet and muddy! If you want to hit the willow ck and went ridge country. You are better off coming in from sego. If you want to check the knolls and little ck ridge. Coming in from westwater would be better. Seep is paved. but, you still have a lot of dirt winding steep roads to go through. If it's wet. I would advise neither. But if you had to when it's wet. Seep would be the way I would go with a trailer. If it's dry! Both are good places to go in from.

Seen two really good bulls that were already out to their royals! Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well as it turns out it was my son that drew the LE Roadless Archery Elk tag. We also drew the Kamas Muzzy Deer as a group with my brother. Have never hunted with a muzzle loader so we wanted to give it a shot this year. Put it in as our second choice. I have been told that the Kamas area stinks for muzzleloader and there are always extra tags. We'll see I guess.

Pretty stoked about the elk tag. Looks like I will be hunting for cows and spikes on the unit and then rolling into his LE hunt. He drew the tag with 5 points.

If anybody wants to share any info about the Kamas muzzy tag that would be great. I will be spending all of my free time on the Bookcliffs Roadless this summer.

Reactions: Dahlmer and JuddCT
1 - 10 of 10 Posts