Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for a book on identifying plants in the Utah/Idaho area? It's something I want to get better at and would love to have something to throw in my pack with me.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'd be interested in a general plant identification field guide as well. I often carry a mushroom field guide when I'm out scouting.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I bought the tome "Woody Plants of Utah" this winter for the same reason. Its a little heavy compared to a standard field guy (like Falcon Press). But I like the detail and appreciate having a dichotomous key for difficult identification.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nature bound pocket field guide by Ron Dawsen is one I have used a lot.
A good one for mushrooms is All that the rain promises and more by David Arora. They are older books but the info is still relevant. Plus they are small enough you can take them with you easily.

·
Administrator
21,316 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have picked up a few field guide type books at the DI over the years. Came in pretty handy for a Scoutmaster. Now, my wife and I use them for our hiking adventures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
one of the best field guides I have seen is Plants of the Rocky Mountains, very concise guide for local plants, and their native uses it's not in print anymore but can be had online as a used book.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also interested in the flora of Illinois. I wanted to find something from college textbooks on this topic. What do you think, which Textbook should I choose to download from here http://yourcoursetextbook.com? I know many people like to watch videos more, but I prefer books. By the way, if you found a good tutorial about mushrooms, please share it. My boyfriend has been dreaming of going to the forest to pick mushrooms for three years, but neither of us understands them. And we are afraid of getting poisoned by collecting poisonous mushrooms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts