Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the new hunter topic going around right now, there is a lot of talk on there about boots. So I figured I would throw it out there to see what everyone's favorite hiking boot is?

I picked up a nice pair of winter hiking boots from Cabela's last season and this summer I was going to get a summer pair of hiking shoes/boots. I'm leaning toward Under Armour just since they don't seem to feel like I have huge clunkers on my feet. That is the main issue I run into with hiking boots (especially being a size 12.5-13 :p)

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
im a danner fan myself. I do think there quality has gone down slightly in recent years. but I still have a pair that I bought in 2005, that I don't really use anymore but are still useable. and my main pair and back up pair right now are both danner pronghorns. super comfortable and durable. and I have wide feet and they accommodate that nicely

·
Registered
156 Posts
im a danner fan myself. I do think there quality has gone down slightly in recent years. but I still have a pair that I bought in 2005, that I don't really use anymore but are still useable. and my main pair and back up pair right now are both danner pronghorns. super comfortable and durable. and I have wide feet and they accommodate that nicely
Danner fan here too. I wear the Fowler and love them. Sturdy, not too tall, and appear to be extremely durable.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I wear Danner 8" High Ground boots. They've been good boots. This last season I put just over 52 miles on them in 4 days and didn't get any blisters or hotspots. If I could afford them I'd wear a pair of Meindls, but alas even the Danners were at the top end of what I could currently justify for boots. If I made it out more often, I'd be more comfortable paying more.

I'll add that good insoles, socks, and sock liners are just as important as good boots IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was a big fan of the cabelas brand, thought they were comfortable. But I found myself wearing through them in less then a year in the hills. Last year I spent a little more and picked up a pair of Irish setters. They have been great.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I bought a pair of Muck boots from Camofire two years ago and absolutely love them for comfort and durability. They don't breathe well but I knew that going in. My only gripe is that they don't grip worth a nickle in the snow.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I wear Danner 8" High Ground boots. They've been good boots. This last season I put just over 52 miles on them in 4 days and didn't get any blisters or hotspots.

I'll add that good insoles, socks, and sock liners are just as important as good boots IMO.
+1 on the 8" High Grounds. Very comfortable, and so far they appear to be durable.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Danger promghorns are hard to beat.
I have several in different insulation levels and two uninsulated one for hunting one for work. They are light weight and comfortable.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well in early 2015 I picked me up a pair of the Under Armor Brow Tines. IMO if you are over 150-160lbs, avoid this things at all costs!! I'm 240lbs without my pack and other gear and the arch in these things could not support my weight. After my first 3+ mile hike, it took over a week for my feet to heal. I took them back to Sportsmans and the kid there told me they have around 50% of these boots returned, and most by guys over 160lbs. He turned me onto the Irish Setter Vaprtreck which is a similar style 8" boot. I was hesitant at first but he insisted they were far better constructed. I logged a ton of miles on them and couldn't be happier! An 8" boot, with 400g of Thinsulate, light weight, and comfortable. I was able to wear them right up until I took my deer in late October and my feet never got cold. I believe I was able to get them for $160.00 or so and I would say worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I just replaced my Columbia Diablo Pass boots after 6 years. They were great.

I got the Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX and they are way better. I tried out lots of boots (including Kennetrek and other high end stuff) and these were by far the best. I absolutely love these boots.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I rarely use actual boots... unless its really cool, or really wet. Normally just use Cabelas Grand Mesa Hikers. Normally get 2 years out of a pair wearing them every day. Normal boots are too heavy :?

-DallanC

·
Registered
604 Posts
Red Wing King Toes. Going on 6 years with my original pair. Had to get a new pair this winter that had some tread on them but now that most of the snow is gone I'm back to the original pair. Just might wear them out this summer. Can't beat a boot that will hold up to a 300 pound guy stomping around in them for 6 years. If the snow is deep enough I switch to a pair of Irish Setter pack type boot. Just an opinion from a guy that spent the better part of his youth working in the woods wearing some high priced custom built boots.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Meindls:

Wind River Mtns, end-to-end twice
Uinta Mtns, end-to-end twice
Every lake and every drainage on the North Slope of the High Uintas (and a bunch on the South Slope)
Wyoming Range Trail, end-to-end
Thru-Yellowstone NP, northwest-to-southeast
27-mile stretch of Adopt-a-Highway Mirror Lake Highway for 22 years

blah blah blah

Always Meindls; just carry a little bailing wire:

Reactions: gdog

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Meindls:

Wind River Mtns, end-to-end twice
Uinta Mtns, end-to-end twice
Every lake and every drainage on the North Slope of the High Uintas (and a bunch on the South Slope)
Wyoming Range Trail, end-to-end
Thru-Yellowstone NP, northwest-to-southeast
27-mile stretch of Adopt-a-Highway Mirror Lake Highway for 22 years

blah blah blah

Always Meindls; just carry a little bailing wire:

This is why, even though my Danners have served me well, I would buy Meindls if I had the money. If the man himself endorses them, I'm pretty sure I can trust the durability. I mean crap, just look at the places Goob takes his boots on a regular occasion.

Also, I tried a pair on just for fun and they felt great.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have jumped around in the boot world a lot of the years. I am very picky. My feet hurt easily. For all those that say danner I wonder if you have ever had a high quality boot. Sorry if it offends people but I wore danner and got sick of buying boots so often. I have tried about every pair out there now. I used meindls, kennetrek, crispi, salamon, zamberlan. I wear saloman in the early season for archery hunting and bird hunting. I interchange that a bit with some more aggressive zamberlans if needed. I have a pair of danner elk hunters that are ok but my feet DON'T thank me for the danners at the end of a long day. I recently (last week) thought i'd give danner another chance and bought some mountain assaults and gilas. The mountain assaults run $300 and look similiar to the kennetrek, crispi, etc..so I thought hek maybe danner stepped up there game. Nope. They are painful to wear at this point, both pairs. Holding my zamberlans next to them you can just tell the cheapness. The heel for example has some padding between your foot and the hard heel part of the boot on the zamberlans. The danners there is a very thin piece of cloth.

That is my experience. Every foot is different and different boots fit different people but danner is at the bottom of my list for quality. It hurts forking over so much for a boot but the higher quality usually costs I have found.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
The problem is that what boot works well in wet/cold situations may not work where it is hot and dry.

I have a pair of Meindl Perfekts for the wet and cold. They have taken me to Canada on a bear hunt and all over Utah and Colorado on deer and elk hunts without a problem.

I also have a pair of Cabela's Meindl air active day hikers that have taken me all over Arizona and Colorado during the spring and summer and surprising they are quite a light weight hiker. They are also the boot that I took to Africa last May and they didn't miss a beat. Over rocks or in the sand they performed flawlessly. They are either discontinued or our of stock right now. The web site just says "sold out"

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Vote for Meindl

For an all purpose general hiking/hunting boot I really like the Meindl Perfekt Hikers

For Chukar hunting in snow and cold I like the Cabela's Meindl "Perfekt™" Extreme 400-Gram Hunter Boots

For early season Chukar stuff I like Meindl Alaska Hunters although they might be discontinued

1 - 20 of 36 Posts