Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word on Botulism this year?? Or what the mercury advisories are for this year? Just wondering if anyone walking the Waterfowl areas has seen any of it this year or if there have been dead and dying birds seen out on the Salt Lake by airboaters yet??

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Re: Waterfowl disease/Mercury

for the murcy thing. go to the meeting that today and they will most liek talk about it and same with the other proublom there having with the birds dieing.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Waterfowl disease/Mercury

dkhntrdstn said:
for the murcy thing. go to the meeting that today and they will most liek talk about it and same with the other proublom there having with the birds dieing.
Thought about it... but I'm not a "meetings" kind of guy. That and I have a ballgame I have to go to tonight... guess I'll just wait and hear what the "official" word is later. I wondered if anyone has seen them washing up on the causeway yet or if they're floating around marshes. Also, where I plan to be hunting the Salt a few times, I was wondering if the "merc concerns" had spread beyond GE's and Spooners to really bad levels in the other birds.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
that why im not going tonight eather got the game to go to. I have not heard any word about them finding tomany ducks dead in the marsh yet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I went to the meeting last night and this is the latest info as I understand it.
Mercury levels tested during the season were still there but the shoverler was relisted as a eat 1 a week up from not at all. So you can enjoy a spoonie once again :D
Same as the Cinnys and the Goldeneye. once a week.
There really hasnt been a bad Botulisum outbreak this year for some unknown reason. He said it seems to come in a aprox. 10 year cycle, and our last big one was 97 and with all this heat
to. I would have thought it would have been a real bad year for it.
Another thing I asked was about the Avian Flu that all my pinnies got swabbed for last year and all the test results they took were Negitive for the Asian Avian flu they were worried about. So thats some good news.
Two more bright spots This fall flight looks to be a good one with the the liberal season and added Can to the limit.But were low on water here so who knows if they will stay as long as normal? Seems with Fowl theres always bad to go with the good. I say lets get em while there here anyway. *()*
Another bright spot is the Coot is a very low Mercury bird ( I just couldn't call it a duck)
So you can eat all ya want with the very liberal limit of 25. No new banded ones that i know of
so imagine the trophy if you get one now.

Have a Safe and Fun season everyone

Spry

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spry Yellowdog said:
Another bright spot is the Coot is a very low Mercury bird ( I just couldn't call it a duck)
So you can eat all ya want with the very liberal limit of 25. No new banded ones that i know of
so imagine the trophy if you get one now.

Have a Safe and Fun season everyone[Spry
GO GET EM CLARK!!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts