Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hunting buddy‘s daughter got a Boulder early rifle elk tag, we know some area to go, but open for more ideas, she is taking her 2 boys with her to pass on the hunting life.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
View attachment 149241

I’m guessing this is a Boulder bull. Don’t settle for less than this one!

I always wonder about the glory shots in the dark under artificial light. For some reason it always makes me question the legitimacy.....

Reactions: ns450f

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
My hunting buddy‘s daughter got a Boulder early rifle elk tag, we know some area to go, but open for more ideas, she is taking her 2 boys with her to pass on the hunting life.

I'd be willing to help with some info -- but I'd have to know a whole bunch more than just "buddy's daughter got a Boulder early rifle elk tag, we know some area to go, but open for more ideas...".

It's September 13th. Doesn't the early rifle hunt start in 5 days? Yikes.

I guess the best advice I can give is: I'd hunt the Boulder unit.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I always wonder about the glory shots in the dark under artificial light. For some reason it always makes me question the legitimacy.....
At least they didn’t “pull out and let it sit over night, just to make sure it died” like many other do just so they can get pics in the light.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of "at least they removed the apple from it's mouth".

Is the lighting in the photo headlights? Or photography lights? Would you be willing to pack photography lights to the site of a bull elk kill for the after dark photos? Maybe they had horses pack them? Or, did they drive a vehicle (ATV?) to the site of the kill - maybe it died on the side of a road (I'm never that lucky!)? or did they bring the elk out whole to where they could get the lights for the photo op?
Any way, I always wonder about those artificial lighting after dark photo shoots....

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of "at least they removed the apple from it's mouth".

Is the lighting in the photo headlights? Or photography lights? Would you be willing to pack photography lights to the site of a bull elk kill for the after dark photos? Maybe they had horses pack them? Or, did they drive a vehicle (ATV?) to the site of the kill - maybe it died on the side of a road (I'm never that lucky!)? or did they bring the elk out whole to where they could get the lights for the photo op?
Any way, I always wonder about those artificial lighting after dark photo shoots....
Maybe each one of the twelve guides turned on thier flashlights for the photos. Plenty of extra people in each posse to carry a light or two.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,987 Posts
The portable lighting that is out now is incredible. And if they have two or three of them they can really light up the area.

I have a headlamp that will come close to blinding you with the amount of light that it puts out. And on one hunt with a friend he told me to point is straight down and not to look around up on the hill as we were walking into our hunting area in the dark.
It was like a spotlight.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts

This is an outfitter's picture. One that doesn't advertise or even have a website, I believe? He strictly gets business based upon what he posts on Instagram. There is a reason why they make sure they have really good pictures.

Would I pack lighting to help get a better pic in the dark? Nope. Clearly they did. Knowing a little about how that guy hunts, they did not drive any vehicle to the kill spot, nor did they get the elk out whole. Of course, you never know. But I'm guessing they have some lighting to help with night shots. Like I said, most in that game "back out for the night and go track blood the next morning...just to make sure it died and they don't spook it." (IE- I want better field shots, so we'll wait until it's light) Give Ryan a little credit. He seems like one that does it the right way.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
The portable lighting that is out now is incredible. And if they have two or three of them they can really light up the area.
Oh yea, I bought a couple cheapies and its amazing how small they are vs the amount of light they flood the area with. 2 or 3 from different angles easily light up the area for that picture. I bought one going into my wifes books deer hunt years back, figured there was a decent chance we'd get one right at dark and need to take some night shots.

I love the high intensity white light these new LEDs put out, I just replaced all the PAR38 floods in my back yard with LED's, its amazing.

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,125 Posts

I have a headlamp that will come close to blinding you with the amount of light that it puts out.
It was like a spotlight.
See -- this. ^^
Some key words: portable lighting, incredible. Two or three. Light up the area. blinding. spotlight.

This is why I just have to wonder about those after dark photo ops. The availability combined with competition and bragging rights might just make the desire to make bad choices too hard to overcome for many.

I can see it now -- new regulations being implemented to restrict the total lumens allowed per hunter.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
See -- this. ^^
Some key words: portable lighting, incredible. Two or three. Light up the area. blinding. spotlight.

This is why I just have to wonder about those after dark photo ops. The availability combined with competition and bragging rights might just make the desire to make bad choices too hard to overcome for many.

I can see it now -- new regulations being implemented to restrict the total lumens allowed per hunter.
What is it with you heppies and automatically assuming that something was done illegally? First your bro on the dead head thread, and now you here. I know there are stupid people out there that do bad things, but there is a whole lot more good than bad.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
come on vanilla -- I didn't say they did anything bad. I just said it makes me wonder. My head just goes into overdrive. Too much sugar and cafein I guess...

I have a buddy that kills big deer on private land every year. I make fun of him every year, because his pictures, without fail, are ALWAYS in the dark. I always give him crap about it, and ask him if he shot it in the dark. His reason is always the same: I shot it right at dusk!

Obviously, I'm jealous. I'm jealous of my buddy and I'm jealous of Ryan. I'm jealous of his clients. I'd love to harvest something like that elk. Maybe some day. And maybe....just maybe....I'll take a picture of it in the dark (after I remove the apple from it's mouth).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Is there something less impressive about this bull if they were able to light up the bull with the headlights of a truck for the pic? That bull is even better in my eyes if they could drive to him! Get over yourself.

this isn’t a WLH photo. It’s probably as legit as they come. No shady phone calls or games played to get this bull on the ground.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Is there something less impressive about this bull if they were able to light up the bull with the headlights of a truck for the pic? That bull is even better in my eyes if they could drive to him! Get over yourself.
Since you asked the question, I'll provide an answer: Is there something less impressive if the bull is lit up with the headlights of a truck? No. The bull is impressive. in fact, it's awesome. Congrats to the hunter, and congrats to Ryan.

But it would certainly raise more questions. One I would ask is: why not a picture with the truck and headlights shining on the kill? Obviously, because trucks are ugly. Unless, of course, it has a 6" lift and 35" tires, a custom bumper with integrated LED light bar, and some really neat stickers in the back window to assure that other motorists know that the driver is a really good hunter that only kills trophies. Then it would be cool, and included in the picture alongside the bull for sure.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts