Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,001 Posts
What it comes down to is that it is quite likely that the bull was arrowed just before dark, give him a hour or so to lay down and then to find him. Then light him up to take the pictures.

I like that much better than for them to shoot him just before dark and then pull out and go back to camp to wait until the next day to go find him in the daylight. This time of year if you do that most if not all of the meat is going to spoil and at most all that will come out with the hunter is the cape and antlers. And even then they cape may be bad enough that it also is left in the field.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Id argue that quality pictures make for better memories. Even with ****ty photos that bull stands out as a stud but taking the time to setup a quality trophy photograph really puts an exclamation point on the end of a hunt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
993 Posts
Since you asked the question, I'll provide an answer: Is there something less impressive if the bull is lit up with the headlights of a truck? No. The bull is impressive. in fact, it's awesome. Congrats to the hunter, and congrats to Ryan.

But it would certainly raise more questions. One I would ask is: why not a picture with the truck and headlights shining on the kill? Obviously, because trucks are ugly. Unless, of course, it has a 6" lift and 35" tires, a custom bumper with integrated LED light bar, and some really neat stickers in the back window to assure that other motorists know that the driver is a really good hunter that only kills trophies. Then it would be cool, and included in the picture alongside the bull for sure.
What are you smokin?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That Is a great bull, I did get a 365 bull there 8 yrs ago, and my hunting buddy has had 2 from there 330 and a 345 bull, just want to get his daughter the biggest out of us so she would have bragging rights, we have always hunted around on the south side. Just seeing if there is a better spot.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Yeah I'm normally pretty far over in the "give people help even if they just joined and haven't contributed to the UWN community before asking for honey holes" territory but this one might be my limit.

Care to share where on the south side of the boulders you and your buddy have had success on those bulls? I'm betting there are plenty of folks with Boulder tags that would be thrilled with a bull in the 330-345" range. Might even be a kid or a veteran or an old guy looking.

·
Registered
993 Posts
That Is a great bull, I did get a 365 bull there 8 yrs ago, and my hunting buddy has had 2 from there 330 and a 345 bull, just want to get his daughter the biggest out of us so she would have bragging rights, we have always hunted around on the south side. Just seeing if there is a better spot.
There’s always a better spot. But effort and work should be the way you find it. Not making accounts on the internet and asking for free hand outs from people who have worked hard to find them

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
There’s always a better spot.
"Better" is subjective.

I usually want to help people, but this request is hard to swallow. The reason stated for needing the help is:
Mark1513 said:
...want to get his daughter the biggest out of us so she would have bragging rights...".
To me, this is not what hunting is all about, nor should be. Bragging rights for killing the biggest animal.

"She's taking her two boys with her....".

What is it that you want the two boys to learn? The importance of bragging rights? That's a great legacy.
I would love to know what your buddy's daughter has in mind for this hunt. Is she aware of this conversation? What are her goals for this hunt -- do they match with your desire of bragging rights?

I'm afraid that the best advice that I an offer at this point is that Mark1513 should probably contact Ryan Carter at DC Outfitters.

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
Yeah I'm normally pretty far over in the "give people help even if they just joined and haven't contributed to the UWN community before asking for honey holes" territory but this one might be my limit.

Care to share where on the south side of the boulders you and your buddy have had success on those bulls? I'm betting there are plenty of folks with Boulder tags that would be thrilled with a bull in the 330-345" range. Might even be a kid or a veteran or an old guy looking.
Hey, you described me to a T, since I was told if I didn't grow up by the time I was 50 I didn't have too.

So since I qualify for that and it is not my first post, I will accept anyone's honey holes on the Panguitch unit that I have a spike tag for next month.;)

Reactions: johnnycake

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
So since I qualify for that and it is not my first post, I will accept anyone's honey holes on the Panguitch unit that I have a spike tag for next month.;)
Han**** Peak. That's where I'd head. Walk 100 yards off the road and you should be into some elk.

(That auto edit is pretty funny. Funny enough that I'm going to leave it as it is! We'll use it as an anti-hotspot auto correct!

Good thing I didn't try to send you to Mollie's Nipple!)

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Holy moley... we need ole Dunkem back, he'd put a stop to this nonsense bickering.

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Hey, you described me to a T, since I was told if I didn't grow up by the time I was 50 I didn't have too.

I might know something if you're willing to give up a certain lucky hat...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Where we have had our luck by posy lake ,it is a little hard to take young kids in that
area do to all the Down timber. I am sorry if you think all we care about is the size, it’s not. The time with family is number one thing. I am more then happy to help anyone out. leaving tomorrow my you have great hunts.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Where we have had our luck by posy lake ,it is a little hard to take young kids in that
area do to all the Down timber. I am sorry if you think all we care about is the size, it’s not. The time with family is number one thing. I am more then happy to help anyone out. leaving tomorrow my you have great hunts.
“Bragging rights…”

yeah, size seems to be at the top of your priority list

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Or we could trust his correction.

That area around/above Posey definitely has some thick, dead timber. I made the mistake of trying to explore for grouse above there once. That was a long morning.

Best of luck on your hunt, Mark. Folks are a little hesitant to give out info so quick but ultimately the forum is full of helpful members. I hope y'all have a memorable hunt.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I'd be looking around griffintop. I'm not sure who wants the bragging rights more, the daughter or the dad.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Are you camping at Posey? Or camping / staying somewhere else? Knowing where you plan to be would be very beneficial in attempting to help you with some "new" area.

With a youth, camped at Posey, I would take an ATV and head up to the top and take forest road 1372 and pay attention to Coyote Hollow - however, any of that area all the way to Iron Springs is good country (heck, all the way over to the headwaters of Antimony Creek, and down to Mud Hollow). I would hit that road (1372) early, go slow, and listen for bugles.

Expect company. This is a popular area -- the whole Griffin is popular, and known for big bulls, which is why it's popular. But's also a very big area with lots and lots of miles of good elk country.

Good luck.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts