Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on best area for black bear in the Boulder plateau/kaiparowitz region. Where to set camp to have best chance of seeing bear?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am not really familiar with the unit. I am assuming you've been there. Bears in my experience hunting them in that way are most active early morning, and just before dark. Look in places of food sources such as acorns, etc. The bear I harvested in 2015 had a paw full of pine nuts. Find areas that have those food sources and you might find a bear. I have that tag this year for the La Sal unit. I spent a few days during black powder deer kind of hunting them. I did pass on one, and had another one walk right by me next to my UTV. Both were in the scrub oaks. If that gives you an idea.

Have you already been out hunting? Seeing any sign?

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
prior to these storms, I would have said concentrate on the cattle ponds. But now? Too much water everywhere...

Concentrate on areas with fresh elk gut-piles -- or, even better, find where the trash dumpsters are located, and start watching them - there should be a few bears hanging around any of the dumpsters.

(have you tried calling the DWR southern region biologists? I'll bet they could help.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
prior to these storms, I would have said concentrate on the cattle ponds. But now? Too much water everywhere...

Concentrate on areas with fresh elk gut-piles -- or, even better, find where the trash dumpsters are located, and start watching them - there should be a few bears hanging around any of the dumpsters.

(have you tried calling the DWR southern region biologists? I'll bet they could help.)
Yeah, I called them a few weeks ago and he gave me some suggested spots to try. He did mention looking for acorn areas to look in and some glassing areas.

·
Registered
893 Posts

Great advice!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just find good vantage points and glass, glass, glass. You have to spot them before you can stalk them.

Goodluck

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Tough -- BUT DOABLE!

2019 Boulder spot-and-stalk bear:
Vehicle Tire Wheel Plant Camouflage

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Plateau, Boulder/Kaiparowits

;)