Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent yesterday scouting up high on the Aquarius for my rifle deer tag and spike elk next week. Saw deer and some elk sign, found some stuff, but not exactly what I was looking for. Anyone willing to share where they are seeing elk?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
It's been tough. Dry and hot have made hunting tough so far.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I just got back from another 3 days on the Boulder unit..
I will say this, There are areas the deer are doing VERY WELL..:!:
If your not seeing them------Move to a new spot.;-)..

The elk are in pockets as-well, If your in them, They are plentiful..

I will be on the Boulder top road again, At the guard station for 5 days..
Oct 3rd thru the 7th, ......
All are welcome to stop by and visit..:grin:.....It's a COOL FREAK'in place ..:cool:..

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Spent the Archery season a few days this year, had to return home early do to a family crisis . But have spent well over 30 days Archery Hunting there in the last 3 years.. The place was a Zoo this year. Razor after Razor. last first weekend archery hunting for me.seen less deer this year than I have seen in 6 years. few small bucks,, lots of very dry does.. very few fawns..my son was down there middle of the second week. lots a small bucks and about 80 per cent less hunters.Good Luck Hope ya have a Great Hunt. It's not all about the kill. ENJOY ENJOY

·
Registered
876 Posts
I was down there this last week for the muzzy, only saw half the deer or less that we normally see during the archery hunt, but we did fill 4 out of 5 tags, 3 of which were older mature bucks. Surprisingly we saw lots of elk in areas which during the archery they seldom are located. I have a few videos of 8 or more mature bulls fighting and screaming less 40 yards away.

I think this is the first time I have spent a week on the mountain and not had any rain. It made it hard to hike and use stealth, everything was so dry. But it was nice, I only saw 5 other hunters in 2 camps besides us in the area we hunt during the whole week. My 14 year old nephew shot a decent 3x4, his dad a huge 2, and my brother a nice, tall 3, I will post pics and a story when I have a chance.

I did observe the elk moving around a lot, covering a lot of ground. I think the only reason we were seeing the elk in the areas we were seeing them was due to the rut hitting later. I belive the rut didn't peak until the muzzy season. We tried to help an older guy who drew the LE muzzy elk tag with 1 BP, but they were all over the mountain, so I am not sure how he faired. I know there are better areas for elk than the one I hunt, based on info from others they are higher on the plateau or along the west side of the unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts