Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's it like at BRBR on opening morning? Are the gates programmed to open up two hours prior to sunrise? If so, when does the line start forming? Is it pretty safe to assume it's a NASCAR race as soon as the gate opens up? That parking fills up fast?

Or do they let you drive in earlier, and hope everyone follows the rules?

I've thought about hunting BRBR on the opener, but if it's anything like I picture it being, I doubt I will.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope it great out there. Hardly anyone and lots of birds:)
Ah, the great problem with the internet. Are you serious, or are you just trying to keep me away from Ogden Bay? -Ov-

Don't worry; I won't be there. And probably not at BRBR either. I guess I'm mainly just curious at how it all works out before shooting even starts. It looks like it has the potential to be a little crazy if hunters don't cooperate.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ah, the great problem with the internet. Are you serious, or are you just trying to keep me away from Ogden Bay? -Ov-

Don't worry; I won't be there. And probably not at BRBR either. I guess I'm mainly just curious at how it all works out before shooting even starts. It looks like it has the potential to be a little crazy if hunters don't cooperate.
Joking. But you can have Ogden bay this year. I'm going north. Way to warm for a good Ogden bay.
Ps was out there today. Very very few birds. On unit 1. Even less on unit 3. Have heard Howard slough has most of them.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joking. But you can have Ogden bay this year. I'm going north. Way to warm for a good Ogden bay.
Ps was out there today. Very very few birds. On unit 1. Even less on unit 3. Have heard Howard slough has most of them.
Ah, the great problem with the internet. Are you serious, or are you just trying to keep everyone else away from Ogden Bay? -Ov-

:-D

The DWR said the same about Howard Slough. I went there my first opening day, and vowed I would never return on an opener (and I've since learned I usually would rather not return at all).

It's always hard to figure out the best opening day plan. It's hard to pin down a reason why I can have a great shoot one year and then go back again and find almost nothing. And since I only have one a year, the learning curve is pretty slow. The plan this year: hike so far that no one in their right mind will follow, and hope a few birds swing in close enough for a shot. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It isn't too bad unless you have a boat. Line start to build half hour before gates open. I've never battles for a spot there. Not many foot soldiers when gates open because most show up right before shooting and walk *****. Go far away from ***** and you can have a decent hunt

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
If you go to Farmington Bay make sure to wear your hunter orange and class III ballistic vest with the ceramic front and back plates. Also a riot helmet would be a good idea as steel shot usually won't penetrate those even at the close ranges the morons at FB tend to get on top of each other with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
But I would recommend having a plan on where you're going. Could you can get into some pretty deep water and you gotta know where the birds are flying. there are reasons why there's not a lot of foot soldiers out there. And don't forget about that 10 shell rule on the *****.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Is this for real? I know Ogden Bay is a joke, and I always pictured BRBR to be worse.
The worst is FB. By midnight the parking lot is almost full and boats are launching like mad. By 5:00 you will have to park a good half mile away from the parking lot on the road just to be able to park.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
If the waterfowl season opened mid-week, a lot of the overcrowding issues would be resolved. They did it for general season elk for a long time, and now they do it for muzzleloader deer. So why not?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.